User Tag List

Thread: Best way to manage multiple versions?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to manage multiple versions?

So far my game is only available on Google Play Market and Android App Store. I'm planning on iOS and maybe Windows Phone in the near future.
    What is the best way to manage each version of your app when you are targeting different systems? It seems like I will have to update the Android version and then rewrite all of the iOS parts with each update.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have created my own system. I have a global value (A switch), that can range from 0-1000000. When I build for Android, I just change the Build Runtime Type and the Global Value Switch to 1. iOS, I change runtime and change the switch to 2.

Internally (inside the events), I do a 'first tick check' to see what value the Global Value (Switch) is set as, and open corresponding groups accordingly. If you optimise correctly, the only events that *should* need changing are 'movement controls' etc. to accommodate joysticks/on-screen/multiple-touches etc. or a plethora of other things.

If you are developing a cross-platform engine, then you should stick to using basic ACES where possible and not extensions. However, this doesn't mean you have to keep deleting/adding/modifying extensions to switch runtimes. Activate your iOS Ad Groups with the switch, same for Android etc. You can build ALL platform releases with all the extensions in. If you're building the first one for Android but it contains iOS extensions, it won't matter as Fusion 2.5 will still build it and just exclude those extensions.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good tip Danny..thank you

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a great tip Danny!
    I have multiple versions of an app, though they just load slightly different data. Stupidly instead of doing what Danny has suggested, I've created separate files for each app. Its an absolute pain when i want to manipulate/change something.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a great idea Danny, thanks!
    My app has to use two completely different events for iOS and Android. I'm using Scoreoid on Android to do an online high score list (plus login/registration) but on my iOS version I want to just use Gamecenter. This will help me much when dealing with both versions