User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: random giving same result EVERY time

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

random giving same result EVERY time

I have a frame with some objects in it which are called over and over again
    Each time the frame is loaded, random(18)+1 is called
    Every single time I get the same number!
    I've tried the randomize() function beforehand, which does nothing
    The objects which hold the random number are initialized first to 0 every time and then given the random number
    I have no idea why this is happening but maybe someone can shed light? I've been using random() in MMF for years now and never experienced this
    also, none of the objects are global.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say called, are you meaning something specific is created? Like enemies? I recently learned about using the random function (under the special conditions) and its been a Godsend! What i do to make mine change up goes like this, YMMV:

- 2 to 3 times at random
    + Every "00:20" seconds
    => Create enemy at (x and y of your choice)

This works great for me, and really does take away from trying to create a strategy when fighting against particular pattern based enemies, making the game that much tougher I hope this was helpful dude! Also, if you know this then tell me to STFU lol, but this also works great for attacks/ attack sound effects as well so if you have the character grunt or whatever sound you may have its not always the same every single time or if you have a game that uses combos.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    random.jpg

I have no idea what you're saying but I don't think it's in any way related to my issue. My issue is simple. I randomize a variable several times during a game. Each and every time, the randomized variable gives the same result. That is unexpected. I believe a solution is to store the variable in a counter instead of an alterable variable of an active, but I'd be interested in knowing why this happens.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe try with Randomize(Random(999999)) instead of Randomize(timer). The expression "timer" returns the thousandths of seconds since the start of the frame, but this value can be set to anything with the action "Set timer" of the special object Timer. And this could lead to predictable results when used in conjunction with the Randomize() action.

Or for an unknown reason the condition "On group activation" doesn't trigger correctly, thus not calling the Randomize() action. Try to use "Only one action when event loops" to see if something changes.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you accidentally set the random generator seed to something other than "-1" in the frame properties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    Maybe try with Randomize(Random(999999)) instead of Randomize(timer). The expression "timer" returns the thousandths of seconds since the start of the frame, but this value can be set to anything with the action "Set timer" of the special object Timer. And this could lead to predictable results when used in conjunction with the Randomize() action.
    I'll try that, thanks. If it doesn't work I'll just use a counter instead of an alterable variable, which I am 99% sure will work.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyMole
    Sounds like you accidentally set the random generator seed to something other than "-1" in the frame properties.
    No.

seed.png

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Tey setting the random seed (randomize) to something which is constantly changing... for example:

year+month+day+hour+minute+second+hundredths of second

This number will constantly be increasing so the seed which is used to control where the random number generation starts from will always be different. You could also use other things such as mouse position, retrieve free memory on the PC, time since the computer was started up... anything which is not predictable basically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do I access time in expression editor? extension?

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cfullerNY, for me, random has been generating the same number/set of numbers for about 3 months, regardless of what the random seed is set to, both in Clickteam Fusion and MMF2.

http://bugbox.clickteam.com/issues/1157

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Random system in MMF is very pseudo-random generation. It got an equal chance to pick any of numbers (so random 2 gives you 50% chance on each, random 10, 10% and so forth).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast