User Tag List

Thread: Idea for quick iOS deployment & testing

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Idea for quick iOS deployment & testing

Hey guys,

I was just looking at other software dev tools (as I do from time to time) and I had an idea to suggest to CT for better iOS deployment and testing...

Currently to test on an actual iOS device, an MMF application has to be exported, then unzipped on a Mac and loaded into XCode, then run on a provisioned device. This isn't ideal, but it's the best current way of doing it due to Apple's restrictions.

HOWEVER! I was having a play around with GameSalad, software similar to MMF but for Mac, which focuses mainly on mobile deployment, and they had a really interesting way of deploying to iOS devices, quite similar to TestFlightApp. GameSalad has the user install an app on their device, and the play (build and run) button in GameSalad sends the project to that app and runs it.

That got me thinking, this should be entirely possible in Fusion, should it not? Since Fusion builds an XCode project which contains all of the 'runtime' objects and the MMF project in a separate file, then in theory, couldn't ClickTeam or somebody create an app which contains the fusion runtime, which a .cca file could be injected into? A sort of 'ClickTeam Fusion project test app'? Fusion could remotely send the .cca file to the running app and execute it when the user presses the build and run button on their PC. The only drawback I can think of is that extensions could be tricky, though the new extension manager system might be able to help with that...

Any thoughts? It could certainly make things more convenient for users.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes there was some planning work on a system like that but I don't know if it will be done for 2.5 or be something we will see in 3.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, good luck with it!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just please, whatever you guys do, don't use Game Maker or Construct 2 as a template. Both of those engines have awful testing modes involving web servers and IPs and blah blah blah. Very cumbersome, very frustrating. I agree, Game Salad's method works fairly well, though I would never want to lose the ability to export an Xcode project as it currently stands.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, we'll always have to export an XCode project, otherwise we wouldn't be able to submit to the iTunes Store.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi for clickteam and all clickers! I think, that this method is wrong or very hard for use! remember Game Salad is not native code for iOS and other platform, this is interface cover for graphics sounds and other assets! Clickteam Fusion 2.5 is native code because this needed Mac OSX and XCode for building application. It is really for HTML5 applications, I can write this application cover for testing, but I don't know how load cc1 and cch files to real device! This maybe need special extension or other solution!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fusion isn't native code, it uses interpretation just like GameSalad.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love a feature like this.. dealing with xCode is painful.. it constantly messes me around.. if we could test on iOS devices as easily as we can test on Android devices, that'd be awesome. It's not a urgently needed feature.. but of all the feature requests.. this one would be near top for me.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi DistantJ and all clickers! No, the Clickteam Fusion 2.5 is native code for extensions! Any Clickteam Fusion 2.5 application contain from your code into special precompiled file ( just like cca and other formats ) and extension for right work your application! This have special runtime interface ( CRun for example ), this interface cover execute code of your application into Virtual Machine ( VM like Java VM ), not interpretation. Your code really very small part of your application, for base of your application generally is the extensions code and this code native exactly! May be I tell not right, but I understand this just one, if I not right, somebody tell it, I glad knowing right and if this information can be available for all clickers!

For this application ( for testing on real device ), need compile all extensions for iOS, if you want run any application or game. This application need for update if be new extension, many extensions write no clickteam and this is be very hard and not save time for your deploying. It is my motivation, maybe it wrong!