User Tag List

Thread: UK OUYA tax?

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UK OUYA tax?

Hi. Are there any other OUYA/Fusion developers in the UK? I'm curious to know whether it's worth selling games for a small amount ($0.99) or whether to make my games free? I'm going to be making them mainly for fun rather than profit but I wouldn't want to have to pay taxes that would cancel out the donation! Thanks.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would have to pay taxes on any earnings over certain amounts in the UK. However its best to check the HMRC website to see what applies to you. It makes a difference if its your 2nd source of income or your only source. If you're self employed or a trading company.

If you weren't making much profit. Something like £5000 a year (and it wasn't your 2nd source of income) you aren't likely to need to pay any tax.

Edit: You may be best to check with OUYA, as they seem to cover some taxes. Not sure if that means you wont need to pay tax on your earnings.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OUYA will collect all the VAT related taxes without you having to worry about it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VAT is different to income tax. I've only read briefly on the OUYA forums but it looks like income tax is your responsibility.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Canada, and it seems that OUYA pays the taxes.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone know how this applies to google play and merchant account? do i need to set up a company and record VAT etc? i don't think google collects it for me.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danworth sums it up. The simple part is that as an independent developer you will get paid by Ouya or Google based upon what they sell on your behalf as the publisher. Any payment to you forms some income for which in the UK you will be liable for tax. This is different to VAT and unless you are a VAT registered company you don't need to worry about that. I believe Google will likely comply with each territories rules on taxes.

That's my understanding of it but as mentioned read up on the HMRC website for the full details (sure other countries will have similar sources of information).
    Andy H @ ovine.net
    Awful Jokes - a new cartoon every day: http://awful.ovine.net/
    Ovine's games: http://www.ovine.net

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You pay tax on absolutely anything you earn over £10,000 (or whatever the current standing is in the UK - Check HMRC) for personal allowance.

So, for example, if you had no job but made £9,238 on OUYA for that tax year, you wouldn't pay a penny in tax. You still have to do a self-assessment though.

If you had a job paying £15,000 a year and earned £10,000 on OUYA, you would be liable for tax on £15,000 (£25,000-10,000). Again, this is all to do with your self-assessment.

I used to have a limited company but the paperwork is massive. If you want to go self-employed it's much easier. You just ensure you retain paperwork such as invoices, payments, receipts etc. That way, you can throw £150-250 to an accountant before the tax return is due for them to sort out. At least being self-employed you only need two figures... In/Out. You can claim for expenses too but see an accountant for the full low-down.

As per, don't take my advice as solemn even though I've had my own business for years. Always best to consult with your own accountant and do your own research. The HMRC website is fool-proof now so it explains literally everything to help you.