User Tag List

Thread: How can strings be underlined?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How can strings be underlined?

Hello! I'm using strings as links; upon clicking them, the user's Internet browser opens the given URL. To make them look like authentic links, I'm having them match the typical blue color of links, plus use the underlined effect.

However, if I check "Underline" under "Text Options" within the string's properties, the underline effect is only visible within the frame editor. No underline effect is visible during runtime. (This problem also applies for the strikeout effect but not for the bold and italic effects.) Is there a way around this? Thanks!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleFirefly 3D ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You must switch to Software rendering in order to use real underlines due to limitations in DirectX Display modes (Application Properties under the Runtime Options tab). (Source)

Depending on your needs, you could also try pull a fast one and simply draw a line manually, using an active/backdrop object

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by chrilley View Post
    You must switch to Software rendering in order to use real underlines due to limitations in DirectX Display modes (Application Properties under the Runtime Options tab). (Source)

Depending on your needs, you could also try pull a fast one and simply draw a line manually, using an active/backdrop object
    Okay, I went from Direct3D 9 to Direct3D 8, and now it's working! While having underlines is definitely a positive for Direct3D 8, are there any downsides/side effects I could be prone too by having my project abandon Direct3D 9? Thanks!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleFirefly 3D ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Neat!

One of the big differences I am aware of is that DX8 doesn't support Pixel Shader 2.0 features and above. If you're not using any Effects like that you should probably not notice much difference between DirectX 8 and 9.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat!

One of the big differences I am aware of is that DX8 doesn't support Pixel Shader 2.0 features and above. If you're not using any Effects like that you should probably not notice much difference between DirectX 8 and 9.
    As I've been working with it, I also noticed something else: For some reason, the frame rate goes way below 60 on most of my frames. Is there a way that Direct3D 8 could be used just for a single frame as opposed to the entire app?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hm no... I don't think you can swap between DX8 and 9 on runtime. Are there any clues as to why it could lag(object count, effects, etc)?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Hm no... I don't think you can swap between DX8 and 9 on runtime. Are there any clues as to why it could lag(object count, effects, etc)?
    Although the frame rate does vary between frames, the fundamental difference appears to be Direct3D 8, unfortunately. As soon as I go back to Direct3D 9, the frame rate returns to 60 across frames, as it should be. I also tried the standard display mode, but it has a killed frame rate as well.

I don't like what appears to be necessary: I may have to make those artificial lines like you were discussing before. Are there any alternative ways to get a line effect without losing Direct3D 9? Thanks!

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-onInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your text content static or dynamic?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
    Is your text content static or dynamic?
    If you're referring to the string's movement type, it's static.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm probably just going to have to use artificially drawn lines. Although it's an annoying solution in one sense, I'll be able to stick with Direct3D 9, meaning the solution will be contained to just the frame.