[Paid] Experienced MMF coder for Heart Forth Alicia (Metroidvania)

Welcome to our brand new Clickteam Community Hub! We hope you will enjoy using the new features, which we will be further expanding in the coming months.

A few features including Passport are unavailable initially whilst we monitor stability of the new platform, we hope to bring these online very soon. Small issues will crop up following the import from our old system, including some message formatting, translation accuracy and other things.

Thank you for your patience whilst we've worked on this and we look forward to more exciting community developments soon!

Clickteam.
  • Hello!

I'm developing a game called Heart Forth, Alicia (Please login to see this link.), a Metroidvania RPG about a young wizard girl on her journey back home. Heart Forth, Alicia is done in the style of the 32-bit/Playstation era games like Xenogears, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Final Fantasy Tactics, and has an elaborate story that's experienced in the metroidvania genre.

I'm looking for someone that's heavily experienced with MMF to code all kinds of enemy/boss behaviors and patterns for a Metroidvania-style game (someone that knows algebray/trig, can take advantage of all of MMF's functions and is used to building custom engines). I've already made a movement/physics engine for you to build enemy movement with, but you're welcome to modify it or create your own if it's more efficient. Obviously, we're looking for someone to custom-code these engines and do it without extensions or default movements.

The budget for th position is around $5000-6000 USD for about 2-3 month's work (depends on how many enemies need to be done. Also, deadlines aren't too strict.). It's very important for me to be able to stay in touch with you through e-mail or Skype on a day-to-day basis. We'll start working around mid-May or early June. You'll also interact with a couple of sprite artists that will do the graphics for the enemies you'll code.

If you're interested, send an email to mail at alonsomartin dot mx or andrew.silverm at gmail dot com with a sample of the work you've done. If you're able to show us something similar to what we're asking for (Castlevania-ish SOTN/Order of Ecclesia bosses and enemies), you'll easily grab our attention.

Here are some animated screenshots from the game:
    Please login to see this picture. Please login to see this picture.

Most of the enemies are done in Symphony of the Night style: they need to be coded to be affected by gravity and move in sub-pixels according to a description we'll hand you for each enemy. Bosses will be more complex and multi-staged, and some will need to be coded with bones/pivots.

The code for player interaction with enemies is already done, so this is basically just about making the enemies move around in a fun and engaging way.

Thanks for reading!

Please login to see this picture. Please login to see this picture.

Please login to see this link. - Metroidvania RPG (Win/OSX/linux & PS4/Vita/Wii U)

• Alonso, how that works?

The person will create the enemy in a MMF file, than send it to you, and you ll add that code + objects in the frame?
    How about mains character + enemy interaction? Or the work is done in the main mmf of the game?

Please login to see this link.

• The way we'd work is:

1)I'll give you a part of the game's engine in .mfa format with the player's movements and skillsets so you're able to test the enemy in the environment it's designed for.
    2)You'll then code the enemy behavior on a blank .mfa and import it to the game's .mfa (or design it in that same .mfa if you prefer that route). You'll make all the adjustments necessary so the enemy behaves well in the engine and does what it's supposed to.
    3)Once you're finished with a batch of enemies, you'll send the .mfa containing them back to me so I can extract the objects and group code and paste it on my own .mfa.

Did I answer those questions? Let me know if you need for me to elaborate on something.

Decoamorim That example you sent over is a bit vague and hard to judge (it's just a video taken of a phone with a floating jellyfish?). If you have any examples of enemies done for a platform game, preferably that feel like something from Castlevania, that'd be great!

Please login to see this link. - Metroidvania RPG (Win/OSX/linux & PS4/Vita/Wii U)

• I know it might not be the best thing to ask, but how your character is moving between level snapshots?

Are those separate frames, same frame but scrolling is zone limited or the frame is reloading when we enter/leave the zone?

Also what would be included into the MFA except character movement and physics - any platforms, slopes, water, would there be a simple level editor to test enemies behaviour in various conditions, would enemies be obstacle resistant?

Also as example of custom coding, old platform engine (no AI though) Please login to see this link.

End is near.

• Alonso.... i did send you by facebook...
    And no it wasnt a jelly fish..... LOL LOL

In the facebook chat it shows that you did not opened yet...
    Here it is...is a work in progress...is not RPG stuff, but a plataform fighting game.

Is this what you saw?
    Please login to see this media element.

I do have a game i made, my first, but thats really bad comparing to what i am doing now.
    You can download it here:

Also you can look at my channel , there more stuff there :
    There is some picture of my office there too...

I can also work the art if you like,

cheers

• Please login to see this picture.

Hi guys, nice game.

I did a custom spline animation-widget this weekend, it's very powerful and works on any exporter.

so far
    • unlimited joints/bodyparts etc
    • Euler rotation over 1 axis with 3 decimals precision
    • xy position with 2 decimals precision (it's subpixelized)
    • Zdept IDs

I was thinking of sending some better examples within the coming week (I don't have an animation editor yet).

• Exactly how many enemies do you think you're going to need? $6k for 2 months isn't terrible... for 3 months it's pretty bad. I guess it really depends on how many enemies you need and how fast a person could work to complete them.

My examples:

• Its not even making the graphics for the enemies, its just programming AI which most of it could probably be tweaked and reused once you made a solid base. Hell I'd say 6k was too much. I was gonna offer to do it for like 2-3k but he found someone already.

• Thanks for the replies! The position is still open.

I'm looking for 35~40 different enemies, but as Chaos said, you'd only need to code their particular movement cconditions (graphics will be done by someone else), and you'd either use an already-coded subpixel engine or optimise it and use that. Most of the enemies will be composed of single-sprites, so it's only about getting the movement to feel great/interesting and different for each enemy.

The only other thing that would need coding from scratch would be making a skeletal system similar to Spine/Spriter (to be able to Please login to see this link.). Obviously not just hardcode the movement of each boss with events, but have a system that reads and interprets actives' positions/rotations/scale/frames from a text file that can be modified later on.

I think 5-6k is a pretty good rate. It'd take 2-3 months working even less than half-time to allow you to have other jobs (most indies do), but if you wanted to be done quicker you could do it full time.

• Congrats for getting picked up by Chucklefish i like a lot of the games they make/publish and glad to see your game getting the attention it deserves, all the best Alonso :D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!