User Tag List

Thread: Turn Based Grid Based Following

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turn Based Grid Based Following

Hi, I'm making a turn-based game with grid movement, and am running into a bit of an issue. I got the turn based system and the grid based system working, but what I'm wanting to do is get the friendly AI to follow the player. I checked out Nivram's example on friends, but that isn't very convertible to a turn-based, grid based system. I've been at this for a while, and can't seem to figure out a way to do this. I tried telling the AI to look at the player and move a tile in that direction, then end its turn, but it moves far more than one tile and it won't end its turn. Plus this method leaves problems later with the AI going through walls.

So I'm asking if you guys have any ideas for doing this. I think I need paths to make this work, but I'm not sure how I'd set that up. The only examples I've seen so far are making objects follow the mouse, and I already did that without paths for my cursor.

Here is my mfa if you're interested.
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started doing something like this a long time ago, I'll see if I still have it then post it for you.

Edit: I can't seem to find the file (that I know I have somewhere) I was thinking about. I did find an even older file that I was messing around with years ago that may be of some use?
    It's not commented very good and is old and unfinished....Player and Enemy movements
    If I find the file I wanted, I will post it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that certainly helped getting the ally to travel in the right direction, but that's about all it'll do. Way too easy to get it stuck on things =/

Keep looking though if you want, and I'll keep trying to get this to work.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sketchy (I think he calls himself something else now) has made a load of excellent examples with grid based path finding.

see here: http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=8855
    and here: http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=8850

Clicker Fusion 2.5HTML5 Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason Darby's book "Going to War: Creating Computer War Games" describes in detail how to make AI-Movement / pathfinding, Unit effects, Terrain effects, weather effects, etc. and can be applied to other turnbased games too methink.