User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Blurry pixels"

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Blurry pixels"

Exactly Not yet, but hopefully very soon. The publisher wanted a few changes before release..like parallax scrolling and more powerups.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm looking into this. This is very strange.
    Thanks for all your details and inputs. It helps finding the bug much faster

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm having problems trying to reproduce this bug no matter which devices I try on, screen resolutions and fit inside/outside options I try.
    Can anyone send me an example file of this? Thanks

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have to do anything special to make it happen. Literally ANY app I export and test does it.
    Although I do tend to work in 512 x 384

I've sent you a PM with the .mfa of my current project in it. This does it.
    What I tend to do is, swipe up and hold about an inch from the bottom of my iPad screen, that way the little tab for the media controls appears, that way you get a good look at the entire screen while your finger is still held, the tab stays and everything is crisp. Once you let go after a short delay the tab slides off the screen and ping! Everything goes blurry again.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never saw this problem developing Slayin, but I actually used a frame size of 568x360 and a window size of 480x320. All the art was created at x2 resolution, so it is scaled up once at runtime. I am using "Fit Inside and Adjust Window Size" display setting for iOS. I was very careful to keep everything divisible by integers, but the iphone6+ seems destined to cause a big headache.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing something similar in that its all scaled up. Also using "Fit Inside and Adjust Window Size" display setting for iOS.

Can I ask mobichan, why did you pick frame size of 568x360 and a window size of 480x320? What is that based on?
    See my logic was, the resolution of my iPad Air (which I'm doing 90% of my testing on!) is 2048-by-1536, so I went for 1/4 of that res, figuring that would be a perfect 400% upscale.

I'll try your res out tomorrow and see if it affects anything.

Regardless though, it is very odd how everything is razor sharp when any iOS overlays are shown and then goes fuzzy when they are not.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I chose that rez so I could have art on all ios devices (at the time iphone5 was the latest model). The "live area" where the game takes place is always centered around the middle area of the frame in a 480x320 space. But for the widescreen devices and ipad, I have art that exists at the borders that fills in the blank space you would see. Basically, I have areas of my game that can be cutoff because they are just decoration around the borders. Then there is code that checks the width of the frame at runtime and I can determine which device is being used and adjust the ui accordingly.

Sadly, the iphone6+ will screw this up so I am not sure if I can support that device's odd resolution without some ugly stretching. Apple really doesn't care about 2D, resolution dependent art. I am hoping I can make this work with some letterbox black borders, but I don't think that is how the "Fit Inside and Adjust Window Size" option works.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can pretty much use any window size you like as long as the minimum frame size is big enough to allow room for the window to expand where needed. I haven't seen this blurry pixels bug myself.. but as long as everything is working, it's very easy to make a universal app. You could even make your game have a window size of 100x100 with "fit inside and adjust" and it would fill the display correctly with no pixel distortions on all iOS devices.

In the case of a 100x100 window, the window would expand evenly as much as possible and even though the numbers don't add up perfectly, instead of distorting the graphics the runtime will just increase the viewing area of the window to fill the remaining pixels, which is why it's important that the minimum frame size is at least as big as the longest+tallest possible aspect ratio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's what I figured, but I do get fairly inconsistent results.

I more meant why did you choose 480x320 by the way mobichan. I tried running my app at that res (the frame is a lot larger as it scrolls) but I get inconsistently sized pixels!
    It appears to be showing 480 x 320 of my game pixels, so no window size adjustments are happening to suit the device I'm running it on, and obviously 480 does not go into 2048 neatly.
    So what I see is every other column of my game pixels is 1 ipad pixel wider and every other row is 1 ipad pixel taller. It doesn't sound like much but it does look weird.

I've taken a snapshot to try and illustrate this: http://absolutecreations.co.uk/wonky-pixels.gif
    That's a portion of a screen capture straight off the iPad. I chopped a portion of his legs off (ouch!) and put a row of black and white 8x8 "pixels" along the top so you can see a little easier, the columns with the white pixels are 1 ipad pixel wider and the bottom row of the portion I chopped off is 1px taller.

Settings for this are:
    Window size - 480 x 320
    Frame size - 1537 x 384
    Image Compression - Color reduction
    Smooth resizing - Unchecked
    Display - Fit inside and adjust window size

mobichan, your game does exactly the same for me on my iPad. I probably notice slightly less as it's not my artwork! But I took a snap and sure enough, every other "pixel" is a different size.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, one difference is that I am making a single screen game. I chose my frame and window size so that the game can be centered on the screen of any iOS device and there will always be art to fill in the area around the game. This "border" of extra art gets cut off on some devices. I didn't realize my game had areas of single pixel offsets in pixel size. Maybe it is my eyes, but I never noticed it enough to be worried.

But iPhone6+ is going to do an 80% downscale no matter what, so it will always distort pixel art and ruin the square pixels in a much more obvious way. This is leaving me with little choice but to let the 6+ do what it will and not support those devices with any special coding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast