User Tag List

Thread: Is it possible to reference / play a sound from a string variable?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible to reference / play a sound from a string variable?

I'd like to set a sound to play according to a variable value.
    example:
    If X=1, set $sound to "sound1"
    If X=2, set $sound to "sound2"
    etc....

Play $sound

I know this is not in the correct syntax, but I hope you can get an idea of what I am trying to do.

Thanks for any help or suggestion

Tom

Clicker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attachment 13624

Maybe this will help? The example uses a tree object to list the samples in a directory and then plays them when you click on their name in the list.

If you meant to play an internal sample from the expression editor, I don't know if you can.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help Klikplay, but I need to play an internal sample from the expression editor; I have a quiz engine (a group) that will play a sound and the player has to guess that sound. At the tp of my program, I have a random generator that sets a variable to a number between 1 and 10. Depending on the value, the engine should play the corresponding sound. Right now, I have a group for each of the 10 sounds and activate the groupe correspondong to the result from the random number, but I would like to just use 1 group and have it play the sound corresponding to the random number that was generated. This would make the program incredibly smaller and thus faster to load in HTML5.

Thanks for your help
    Tom

Clicker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if this would work for your project, but...

What if you embedded your sounds in data elements? Then they could be extracted and played at runtime. I think this should allow for you to play them using a string. If you named the files "1.wav","2.wav","3.wav", etc.... you could play them using the string of your random value + ".wav".

Just a thought.

/edit/

Here's an example I tossed together.
    Play3.zip

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Two ways to do this using fast loops:

1. Have multiple loops called "sound1", "sound2", "sound3" each of which played their respective internal sample. Then run "sound"+str$(Global Value A) for one loop to play your given sound.

2. Have one loop called "play_sound". Then have multiple events checked it being triggered, each checking the global value/string against a different value of Global Value A and playing the respective sample.
    .:::.Joshtek.:::.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to both of you for the great ideas. I will put them both to the test today and will let you know how it goes. Thanks you very much for the help!

Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joshtek: Just wanted to let you know that your first method works perfectly for what I need to do. Thank you for your help. Your name is going into the credits. I'll send you a link to hte finished game once it's online (HTML5).

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS!

Thanks also to klikhappy; although your method worked just as well, I think I'll have issues with the binaries when I'll put the final product online. But thank you very much for your example; it will come in handy on future projects!

Tom