User Tag List

Thread: Build API, Minimum Android Version, Target Android Version?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Build API, Minimum Android Version, Target Android Version?

What should I be using when it comes to Build API, Minimum Android Version, Target Android Version? I use API 14, Minimum Android Version 2.3/2.3.1/2.3.2 and Target Android Version is 2.3/2.3.1/2.3.2. I don't have any issues as this is working fine on my phone and tablets. Should I do something different or am I ok with what I have been doing?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Ok let start from beginning

Min and target api is the range on where the application can work, see that your application can work above but not below as is set in minimum api.

So best choice if you want to cover all range and keep the froyo theme is set min 2.3 to 2.3.4 that is froyo and gingerbread, notice that the bar is different and actually in new devices this mode is emulated.

but if you want to use themes according Honeycomb use the above api set 2.3 to 4.3

but then if you want to build an use a proper sdk you should use build api 19 which will cover low and bigger apis devices.

Notice that Android is fixing always error presents in their api so use the latest one could be good and bad, (bad, because some apis had more error than other) but for sure use build 19 is a good choice.

please read this guide that will explain better what you expect to find in navigation bar, action title or system bar.

http://community.clickteam.com/threads/84457-A-Guide-to-using-Status-Navigation-bars-Android-Exporter
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

... new things are coming ...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is very confusing. The reason I'm asking is I uploaded an app for the first time to Google Play and it says on the description "Requires Android 2.3 and up"
    All this is very technical to me and I don't understand it whatsoever.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    well yes, that is to indicate that the minimum version require the device to run your apk is 2.3

which is correct since you set 2.3

read the guide it will clarify some ideas.

sorry for such a mess ideas

minSdkVersion
    An integer designating the minimum API Level required for the application to run. The Android system will prevent the user from installing the application if the system's API Level is lower than the value specified in this attribute. You should always declare this attribute.
    targetSdkVersion
    An integer designating the API Level that the application is targetting.

With this attribute set, the application says that it is able to run on older versions (down to minSdkVersion), but was explicitly tested to work with the version specified here. Specifying this target version allows the platform to disable compatibility settings that are not required for the target version (which may otherwise be turned on in order to maintain forward-compatibility) or enable newer features that are not available to older applications. This does not mean that you can program different features for different versions of the platform—it simply informs the platform that you have tested against the target version and the platform should not perform any extra work to maintain forward-compatibility with the target version.

information from android developer page
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

... new things are coming ...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I understand how it all works now, thank you very much for your time.