User Tag List

Thread: OUYA crashes; control stops when app restarts - please help!

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OUYA crashes; control stops when app restarts - please help!

Hi all, wonder if someone would be kind enough to take a look at my source code for a new game. I know it can be annoying but I have some experience and I just can't fathom what's wrong! The game runs perfectly on my laptop but there are a couple of problems when I play it on the OUYA:

1) The in-game screen crashes at random intervals, i.e. gets stuck and recovers a second or two later, with everything having moved in that time.

2) The player can be controlled on the first play, but once the application restarts, all control is lost when it gets to the in-game screen.

---
    I don't get it. It's not my build because I went back and made a new apk of an older game with similar set-up and that works fine. It's not the controller either; I checked with a PS3 pad too and it's just the same. All I can think of is that the game screen's just too 'busy' with events or values. Are there any glaring errors in my source file? Any advice on how to trim the events down? Looking forward to hearing from someone, thanks in advance. Doki x
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes your game crashes for some reason, I did a test with one of my android games on my OUYA using the lastet build, it seems
    fine I can't see anything wrong with the exporter. I'm gona have another look at your game. It could be something silly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Sparckman, you're a star! I'll update the graphics eventually but didn't want to spend time on that until the game works. If you could have a look at the file I'd be mega grateful; I'm going to chuck on a touch joystick and try the game apk on other Android devices, the mfa file still looks fine to me.

Originally I had 12 flies and each pair got faster when they entered the arena. I thought it was the amount of objects combined with the 'speed-up' events crashing it so I tried again with eight flies that stay at the same speed, still no luck.

Another thing I should mention is I've used the same frame for 1 or 2 player game with extra events at start of frame for multiplayer (players=2 creates a second character and makes his data visible). Is this a bad idea?

Thanks again, Sparckman, you've helped me lots since introducing me to MMF2! :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Owned it! Here's an update, might be useful for some people so I thought I'd share...

1) the cause of crashing was down to flies spawning at the exact place of the spider; the spider eats the flies, therefore the program was getting stuck on a loop of create/destroy and slowed everything down, often closing the app. I was able to fix this bug (bad pun) by creating an Active object and placing it over the spawning point. I then added an event telling the spider to bounce whenever he collided with it. So, one problem down! :-)

2) I was under the impression that the 'menu' button on the OUYA object works the same way as the system button. It sort of does, but I think it also works as an 'are you sure you want to quit game?' trigger: pressing 'A' makes a clicking noise, as if taking you out of the app. Because I disabled the back button, it seems to re-enable player movement. So my advice is leave the 'menu' button well alone until Clickteam sorts out a dedicated single system button click tool.

So there we have it, hope all my rambling helps someone! I can now look forward to the next draft of my newly titled game: 'Khaki Combat 2: The Swarm!' :-)

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    1.- glad you figure it out, yes, in some moment the amount of flies created reach the 1000 making stop the application for a bit and restart again (making all those flies), during develope ris always good to have a counter tracking the amount of object present.

2.- next version no more problem with the U button, they changed in November so now you should not have problem it should work like

Retail controller:
    1x short press -> 1x MENU keycode (passed to app) -> game menu
    2x short press -> 2x MENU keycode (not passed to app) -> system menu
    1x long press -> 1x HOME keycode -> system menu

OUYA make button A like "back" at some moment of the operation so be aware of that.
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

... new things are coming ...