Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounds - build 282.3 or greater

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sounds - build 282.3 or greater

Some devices like iPad (at least some of them) don't support the M4A sound files generated by the HTML5 exporter by default.

The build 282.3 has a new option in the preferences (General tab / select the HTML5 exporter) to build MP3 files instead of M4A files if lame_enc.dll is installed in the data/runtime/flash folder.

If you want to build MP3 sounds instead of M4A :

- If the SWF exporter is installed, you have nothing else to do as it contains lame_enc.dll in data/runtime/flash. Just make sure the option above is selected.

- If the SWF exporter is not installed, you need to find and download lame_enc.dll from the Internet and copy it to the data/runtime/flash folder of CF 2.5 (for example you can find it in http://lame.buanzo.org/, download the zip file for Wndows). And make sure the option above is selected.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im unfortunetly still having problems with sounds on ios .. works great on chrome and firefox, but no sound on my iphone!

http://nielshein.dk/huskespil/

Can someone help me out?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is still that licensing issue regarding the use of .MP3 files in games: http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/games.html

Would it be possible to let us choose between M4A, MP3 and WAV? I'd rather use WAV to avoid any licensing issue, even if they are heavier. But I don't know how well the different browsers support WAV files. Do you have a clue? I shall do some testing.

Another question, why can't WinXP users choose to generate M4A files? Is there an issue with that old OS?

Last question, could we also choose which audio format to use with the Flash exporter? Hopefully using something else than MP3 is possible. I ask that because the same licensing issue applies.

EDIT: I wanted to add that I've setup Fusion to generate WAV files (instead of MP3) by removing the lame_enc.dll file. Everything went fine, except for the file 9999.mp3 that was still generated by Fusion. I was expecting to see a file 9999.wav instead.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think the page you mention specifies licensing terms for programs that include a MP3 decoder. CF applications do not include any decoder, the decoder is integrated in the system and/or browser and/or player (for Flash). When we got our agreement with Technicolor for redistributing the MP3 encoder in the SWF exporter, they told us our users wouldn't have to pay anything as our runtime doesn't contain any decoder. Please check with them if you need a confirmation.

AFAIK WAV in HTML5 is not supported in Internet Explorer.

XP has no built-in codec for M4A, this codec has been introduced only in Windows Vista or 7.

Flash only supports MP3.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for this detailed answer Yves. That's sufficient for me to not worry about this MP3 licensing stuff anymore.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Actually, what I said might not be exact whatever we've been told by them, their FAQ is a bit confusing. However they say "no license is needed for private, non-commercial activities (e.g., home-entertainment, receiving broadcasts and creating a personal music library), not generating revenue or other consideration of any kind or for entities with associated annual gross revenue less than US$ 100 000.00.".

So I guess you are safe, unless you generate more than $100,000 (and in this case it's worth asking them perhaps).

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    More info, I've checked what they told us (it was in 2011):

"If the application does not contain an Mp3 encoder/decoder in this case there is no need for a hardware license. If the software comes with Mp3 tracks you might need our Electronic Music/Content Distribution (EMD) license. The terms for this type of agreement are $2,000 annual minimum royalty, with 2% royalty on mp3-related revenues, which are reported quarterly. Only for EMD we have an exception for companies which do not receive more than $100,000 per year in mp3-related revenues."

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you Yves. I believe that this FAQ entry is the best suited to us game developers:
    Do I need a license to use mp3 in games?

Yes. Games using mp3 encoded content are licensed on a per-title basis.

However, no license fees are due if less than 5 000 copies of a particular game title are distributed.
    Links:
    Royalty Rates - Games
    In the case of a freely distributed Flash or HTML5 game, I really don't know how to account for the number of copies distributed. The number of downloads or gameplays I guess.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I did this before but I cant find the option anymore to change to this, do anyone have a screenshot where it is supposed to be?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves
    XP has no built-in codec for M4A, this codec has been introduced only in Windows Vista or 7.
    Yves, if XP users were able to install the relevant M4A codec on their machines, do you think that Fusion could generate M4A files when building an HTML5 app?
    If that's a viable solution, I guess that the codec (DLL file?) should be dropped somewhere into the CF folder tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Outcast
    I know I did this before but I cant find the option anymore to change to this, do anyone have a screenshot where it is supposed to be?
    If you are talking about the new option to build MP3 files instead of M4A, Yves mentioned it in the very first post.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast