User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Brock Crocodile - 16 bit inspired crocodile action!

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has a real feel of Sonic to it. The artwork is great!
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Paul and Craig, Sonic is definitely a feel I'm going for, or rather stuff from 90s era platformers on the Mega Drive/Genesis so I'm happy to hear that!

Been a while since I updated but the project is very much alive. Just completed the 8th stage out of 20, close to hitting the halfway mark of completion.

An image from a month ago when I started work on the 4th Level, City Lockdown, and had only some basic placeholder graphics whilst my level artist for the stage, Matthew Weekes, finished up bringing the concept art to life. On my end I've been busy animating the characters to get rid of the placeholder baddie art (Up top you'll notice Mikey is a stand in for a Gunther the Monkey and Russell the Ape is a solitary frame.) but here's the completed the idle animation for the barrel throwing enemy.

https://twitter.com/BrockCrocodile/s...54896586006529

I'll be saving showing off the completed City Lockdown until a little later, I've got a feeling it would make a good blog on how I plan out a level and bring it to life, but here's a teaser of the level design for the stage.

https://twitter.com/BrockCrocodile/s...61633783627776

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't tell you how much I would enjoy playing this! Great job!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=DigiGuineaPig;650584]I can't tell you how much I would enjoy playing this! Great job! [/img]

Thanks! Don't worry about playing it, hopefully I'll have a demo out soon :P

Just finished this up for screenshot Saturday, Brock having a delightful conversation with the boss of Museum Mayhem, some strange Golem like creature, or is it?

https://twitter.com/BrockCrocodile/s...59157197041664

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got another developer's blog up on the site

Developer's Blog #2: Updates and Progress.

First before we start this developer blog, Happy New Year everyone! I hope everyone had a warm and fuzzy festive period with friends and family. I thought I might try my hand at giving a bi-monthly report from now on. It lets you guys know the the project is alive and kicking whilst also letting everyone interested know how everything is coming along. So without further ado, let's get the second developer's blog running!

Some concept art for the fourth stage, City Lockdown. Also introducing Stick bean Brock!

A quick recap on what occurred during December that ended up being far busier than I anticipated but I still had more than enough time to contribute to my project. Working with my level artist Matthew I quickly drew up the concepts for the fourth level and he helped produced the majority of the art. I also completed the set up for both stages for City Lockdown and now leaves me with working on the fourth boss, Lankeyarms (Name just a placeholder.)

One of the baddie's from City Lockdown, Russell the Ape

So far this January I've started planning out the level design for Breakout Prison and working on the concept art. In order to keep things fresh I've decided to exclude any sort of baddies from the stage safe for a few secret ones used to help boost a player's score. In terms of the speed I'd describe each stage as the following; Gazadiaz Ruins (Fast) Beehive Battleship (Fast) Museum Mayhem (Slow) City Lockdwon (Moderate) Breakout Prison (Slow) I'm really hoping that this mixing up would help differentiate the levels apart from another, of course it's a dangerous method too, I don't want the gameplay to slow down excessively that it'd bore players.

Concept art for Breakout Prison

Although it does share a gimmick from Museum Mayhem (Laser beams to turn on and off.) the stage is also equipped with flamethrowers that are activated when the player is spotted by a search light, retractable spikes, floors, doors and also a mini-puzzle where you'll have to insert coded boxes into the floor to open a door. It definitely is aiming to be a bit more time consuming than the prior two stages (That should be completed within 3 to 4 minutes in total.) since it's the only level in the game that has a single stage baring the final level. And again barring the final stage, this one has the lowest number of alternate routes. Coming off of City Lockdown that had upwards of 16 different paths, I'm gunning for a more linear straight forward level with maybe 2 or 3 different routes the player can take.

Work in progress sprite for Lankeyarms.

Now back to Lankeyarms, just like with the stages I'm hoping to keep the bosses fresh. An elderly primate dressed in a fashionable sharp white suit, he jumps around from the stage using his steam powered gauntlets that jettisons him into the air and tries to land a spinning roll on Brock. Failing that he always has a few handy banana grenade's to throw at our scaly protagonist. Lankeyarms leads a group of monkeys and apes to assault Serena City and capture it's mayor after botched attempts at stealing the artifact Brock recovers in the first stage. A thing to note about him is that he is so far, the shortest boss Brock encounters in the game and the second shortest overall (Brock's rival, Egaunodon, is the shortest being as tall as Brock) so trying to take him out with anything but your whip could be difficult.

That wraps up this developer blog, I hope you enjoyed reading it and one of my goals for this coming year is to start churning these out on a more regular basis. Until then folks!

http://brockcrocodile.com/2015/01/12...-and-progress/

https://twitter.com/BrockCrocodile/s...28640702058496

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/BrockCrocodile/s...51274414751745

Just a little tease of the fourth level.

We've also got a Facebook page now, all shares and likes appreciated! https://www.facebook.com/BrockCrocodile

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Developer's Blog #3: Designing a Boss

Boss Test Footage, all WIP!

Welcome again for another insight into the development of Brock Crocodile. On this week blog Iím going to be talking about a central component in the game, the boss battles! Bosses are one of my favourite moments in video games, they can go from hectic shootouts to downright brink of sanity crazy. The first thing I do before starting any boss is designing the character themselves. Having the most awesome boss battle means very little if the character themselves arenít memorable. I tend to look at titles from the Yakuza series as some of the best boss battles in gaming and how the gamesí constantly take liberties in the fights to give the bosses some rather unrealistic special powers. Iím also trying to avoid repeating myself, the first four bosses range from a giant turtle with plasma cannons embedded in his shell to the current boss, a smartly dressed, elderly and slender ape with mechanical gauntlets.

The next bit would be getting a rough idea of the bossí attack pattern and fighting style. This however depends greatly on the prior bosses as well as some future planning of later bosses. For example outside of his plasma cannon the first boss Pummell Gunzhell attacks by retreating into his shell and rolling towards the player. The following boss Princess Cassandra would hover around in her bee mech before trying to impale Brock with her stinger. The difference in both bosses are more than just aesthetics. Whilst Pummellís attackís can be dodged by jumping in one spot, Cassandra requires movement to get out of the way of her attack. The way to attack them is different too, you can get a few whip attacks on Pummell whilst footed on the ground but Cassandra requires Brock to jump to reach her hitspot area.

With that in mind and with the third boss following Pummellís method of attack and opening, Lankeyarm is closer to Cassandra. Originally Lankeymonk was meant to be swinging back and fourth but I deemed that a bit too similar to Cassandra so soon and just a bit too difficult for the fourth boss too. He was always going to have specially designed gauntlets but they were to give him extendable limbs in a sort of Dhalism-like way but now instead uses them to jettison himself into the air. Once he reaches the end of the screen the game gives the boss a choice to either initiate his second attack or go back in the opposite direction. His second attack occurs when he hangs off the ceiling and pulls out three bombs after which he tosses them into the air. Once theyíve landed the players must judge depending on how fast the bombs are flashing to correct guess which bomb will go off first and position themselves next to the bomb that will go off last.

Another thing that was introduced with the previous boss, the Asguardian Golem, was the boss slightly changing their attack pattern based on their HP. This will not necessarily occur with all the bosses and some will even have totally different forms but itís just one of the many ways to keep certain battles fresh from others. With Lankeyarm, this difference is less to do with more aggressive attacks like the third boss but more to do with giving the players less openings to attack the boss with.

Once a basic moveset was done it was finally time to let some people review the boss fight. A few friends (Shout out to Farzana and Bruno.) suggested the boss was a bit bland so in the name of variation, Lankeyarm changes the height of his jump and the speed (Moving as fast as Brock.) at set intervals. It certainly adds a lot more challenge to the battle and definitely means players should be cautious when attacking Lankeyarm at certain sections but not too hard that he would be out of place as the fourth boss. You can check a demonstration of the boss battle (Without the animation unfortunately!) above and one funny glitch I encountered.

That wraps up this developerís blog, I hope you guys and gals enjoyed watching it and on a final note, we recently opened up a Facebook page, drop by and give us a like/share if you can! Till next time!

Tweet: https://twitter.com/BrockCrocodile/s...00489854693376
    Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/BrockCrocod...26588720826735

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time I've posted on this thread. Looking forwards to the release of this game! It looks like the sort of game I'd like.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much work you did ! and it's cool that you explain how you did it. I will wait to try it You plan to put it on some mobile platform or just PC ?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygreenfrog View Post
    First time I've posted on this thread. Looking forwards to the release of this game! It looks like the sort of game I'd like.
    Thank you! Always encouraging to hear people like to try your game

Quote Originally Posted by Wolkam View Post
    So much work you did ! and it's cool that you explain how you did it I will wait to try it You plan to put it on some mobile platform or just PC ?
    Hope I don't keep you waiting for too long, thanks for liking it!

It's coming just for PC now but I did want to try making a version. The twist would be that like this is based off of old 16 bit consoles I wanted to see if I could try a fun 8 bit like version for iOS/Android. Also thanks for the follow on Twitter!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast