User Tag List

Thread: Do any of you guys notice your games run much slower on Windows 8?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do any of you guys notice your games run much slower on Windows 8?

Hi guys, sorry if this is an old issue however I've recently noticed that when I move some of my MMF2 exe's over from a computer that's running XP to a much better computer that's running Windows 8 the games are running much slower. It's weird because the build computer I use for all my games is about 8 years old and this laptop's brand new.

Is there an issue where MMF2 doesn't run very well on newer computers / OS's?

Any light you can shed would be really helpful as I don't want 95% of future players to have a game that's running like crap and not how it's supposed to be.

EDIT: I've also tried running the games in different compatibility modes and that makes them worse.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did run into a scenario when building on Windows 7 to one Windows 8 runnung an exe that it had some hiccups, but just one Windows 8 pc did that. The others have been then same for me.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if it's because the game was compiled with DirectX via the runtime tab?
    I'll try to recompile it later under 'standard' and see if that helps.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an idea, I wouldn't know for sure. Let us know your results.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't use DirectX, use Direct3D instead. I'm not even sure the DirectX feature (which, from my understanding, uses DirectDraw instead of hardware acceleration) even works in newer versions of Windows since I think DirectDraw has been discontinued for a long time, and may be gone in Windows 8 entirely, which would explain the performance drop.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, well good news and bad news:

I compiled the .exe in both Standard and Direct 3D8 (3D9 crashes my computer running WinXP and my inverted effects don't show up correctly which is why I went with 3D8). When tested on the laptop running Win 8, the standard .exe ran a bit wonky and choppy but otherwise it reacts how it's supposed to react.

Then I ran the 3D8 .exe and it runs smoothly and perfectly with zero slowdown. This would be excellent however for some reason my hero's sprite doesn't react the same way with other objects now- namely the active picture objects I use to detect when he's leaving one room to go to another. In the standard .exe the collision is reacting to the large transparent rectangular part of his sprite (which is what I want), but with 3D8 it's waiting until the actual colored pixels of the sprite hit the detector before it registers a room change. Why would this be bad? Because my guy's now falling off the screen out of bounds since everything was set up to collide with that large rectangle before and not the actual guy's picture.

Does HWA super-improve the collisions of active objects or something? I've never used it very much, as I'm sure you can all tell

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes,

I notice this issue as well with my Windows 8 laptop. I use 3D9, but did not crashed my WinXP desktop. It runs all right on my Windows 7 desktops.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Del_Duio View Post
    Okay, well good news and bad news:

I compiled the .exe in both Standard and Direct 3D8 (3D9 crashes my computer running WinXP and my inverted effects don't show up correctly which is why I went with 3D8). When tested on the laptop running Win 8, the standard .exe ran a bit wonky and choppy but otherwise it reacts how it's supposed to react.

Then I ran the 3D8 .exe and it runs smoothly and perfectly with zero slowdown. This would be excellent however for some reason my hero's sprite doesn't react the same way with other objects now- namely the active picture objects I use to detect when he's leaving one room to go to another. In the standard .exe the collision is reacting to the large transparent rectangular part of his sprite (which is what I want), but with 3D8 it's waiting until the actual colored pixels of the sprite hit the detector before it registers a room change. Why would this be bad? Because my guy's now falling off the screen out of bounds since everything was set up to collide with that large rectangle before and not the actual guy's picture.

Does HWA super-improve the collisions of active objects or something? I've never used it very much, as I'm sure you can all tell
    Fine collision detection works differently in HWA. Unfortunately, it seems the Active Picture object's fine collision detection setting can't be changed, so you may be stuck. From my understanding, the difference in fine collision detection is that it is pixel-perfect for any objects with it enabled, even if it is colliding with one with it disabled, though it will still treat the collision of the other object as a box. It's a little confusing at first, but it kinda makes sense when you think about it.

Unfortunately, this probably means you won't be able to use the Active Picture object for what you are doing, at least not in the way you are doing it right now. If you change it so the Active Picture objects use an image that is a completely filled solid color, and then make the Active Picture objects completely invisible (if they are at all inside the frame), then it will still work.

Also, Direct3D 9 should NOT crash on Windows XP. Are you using a Windows XP version older than Windows XP SP3? Also, is it running DirectX9 (the latest version of it as well)? Those could all be what cause it to crash. The invert shader not working is another issue entirely, but manually making the inverted versions of the graphics of an object and then using those is less processor-intensive anyway, even if they increase the file size. You can use a program like GIMP to do it. I guess it depends on how you are using it, though, since the way you are using it could make it impossible to use an alternative.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My build computer is running a pretty old version of XP, that's probably why. I don't seem to have any problems on other computers running XP which is good.

What I'm doing to work around this collision problem w/ the active pictures is I'm adding some invisible 'floors' just off the frame where the room's exits are. This way the guy stops falling off the map and into the abyss of doom long enough to trigger the event to jump to another room. I figure this is the easiest way to handle the issue, since I need this game to run smooth for everybody and the stupid thing has these spread out over most of its 200 or so frames