User Tag List

Thread: i cant open my file after saving on another laptop

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i cant open my file after saving on another laptop

Im at a loss, a HUGE one!!!! I had a free minute today at work and thought i'd start working on where i finishing up my game. Saved it, like normal with no issues. I go to open it on my home laptop and i get these error messages:

"An error occurred while loading frame #30
    Do you want to continue loading this application anyway?

If you answer Yes, this frame will be removed from the application."

"Warning!

One or more events contain references to bad objects. Shortcuts have been created for this or these objects, open the event editor and replace them by the correct objects."

Then lastly i get the "Internal Error! Objects or events of this application might be corrupt" message.

This is HIGHLY frustrating as i am literally DAYS away from having my project completed. I also tried loading it again on my other laptop to attempt to save it as a new file and get the same error messages. I also tried opening the .001 file with the same results. I have a backup that i made 3 days ago but in those 3 days i knocked out some MAJOR bugs that i had a seriously tough time getting fixed and it would suck BIGTIME to have to re-learn that again to get it at least close to where i was at. Is there anything i can do short of just going back on the 3 day old backup and doing this AGAIN?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What version of Fusion are you running on your work computer? Is it different from the version of Fusion on your laptop? If so, it may be worth installing the version that is running on your work computer, just in case something has gone wrong between versions.

Also, have you tried opening the file on your work computer again? Does frame 30 load as it should if you do that?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a very good point dude! Im up to the most recent on my home laptop but not my work laptop. Cross your fingers man, I hope this works!!! Ill report back with the findings.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scratch that I guess I did update it not knowing about it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to back up the file, then. Based on the message, your file got corrupted with bad objects at some point, and there may simply be nothing you can do about it. Again, back it up before continuing with opening the file (as in, copy and paste the file, and re-name the copy to be "<original file name> backup"). You may want to see what happens when you do open the file after backing it up. Was frame 30 important in the first place? Also, reading your post again, it is best to just go to the backup from 3 days ago probably. The hardest part of fixing a bug is figuring out how to fix it, and, chances are, even if only in the back of your head, you probably remember how you did it. If you don't remember at all, then you may not have fixed it in the most efficient way possible anyway, and, as a matter of fact, you probably fixed it in a complex inefficient hacky work-around kinda way if you can't remember how you did it at all (like not even where to start, what caused the bug, etc.).

Also, for future reference...

Back up. Your files. Whenever. You make. A major change. To. Said. Files.

It is very, very, very, very, very, very, very important, and something you should make a habit of. Otherwise, this will happen to you to the point where you give up on the project entirely. You have to always prepare for file corruption and other such things. Trust me on this one, it's from near-personal experience. As in, it nearly happened to me multiple times, and nearly made me have to give up on some of my projects, with one case being closer to actually causing it than the other: One was just the file seemingly getting reverted to an older version because of Dropbox, but it apparently made sure to keep the other version as well, so it wasn't a complete disaster, whereas the other was a severe compatibility bug in an extension, which in the end prompted me to have to use an older version of it, delete it, and never add it back in case it happened again because I was (and kinda still am) worried it could happen again if I do so and the object gets updated again.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im afraid you're right happygreenfrog but looking at the positive at least i had a fresh backup 3 days ago so not a whole lot was lost. I tried your tips with renaming etc and no luck im afraid but the main thing that was helping me speed up progress was another quick fix since i messed with it continuously the last 3 days lol. I actually do back up VERY often, i started to after my data was lost on my External HDD and i had to literally restart my game from scratch about a year or so ago. But this time i got a little overzealous since it was nearing its completion and well, you know that rookie mistake that followed BUT i did make a dedicated backup folder just for such BS happening again lol. Thanks you guys for your quick input on this

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you know what version your work computer was at before you updated, try uninstalling Fusion and then reinstalling it with that version. Then see if it will load.