User Tag List

Thread: Online Co Op Question

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Online Co Op Question

I'm planning to create a side scrolling shooter game and would love to implement online co-op. I know the basics of Lacewing and creating a two player deathmatch style game but I'm a little confused how this would work for co-op

Specifically, how would I handle enemies/powerups? I know that the host would have to send all of the data to clients so would this mean to add a flag saying IF the player is host then let the enemies act like normal. IF the player is a client then have the enemies receive positions/animations/stats from host? Also would Lacewing be a reliable system to use if your game ended up on Steam? I didn't see any options to use steam's matchmaking system anywhere.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You pretty much have the idea in the second paragraph. One player would act as a host, or "server" if you want, and send the game data which involves the enemies movement etc to the client. A lot of thought needs to be put into reducing latency however, since the client player would be receiving both their partners data AND the enemies/powerups/etc. I think there was an extension called Dead Reckoning that helped with reducing the choppiness that comes with latency by smoothing out the movement of objects in between any data updates.