User Tag List

Thread: Real-time data fetching with HTML5?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Real-time data fetching with HTML5?

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to build a web app that's going to "get" data (more specifically, a string) only from the server, but for use in real-time, but the client isn't going to send anything back to the server (one-way communication)

My plan is that multiple tablets (iPad/Android, via web browser) are going to display information depending on their "role", some may display all or some of this data, depending on the frame. The actual app itself is all set, it's just the communications I'm having difficulty concluding.

Either this will need to be checked rapidly (every half a second) or ideally if the server can "pushes" updates to the client when there's a change. This will take place over LAN and managed via a PC Fusion application that's running on the web server at the same time.

Something like Lacewing would be ideal for this, but unfortunately, this isn't compatible with HTML5 nor available.

I've heard of WebSockets, but I have no clue how this can integrate with the PC Fusion application, if possible at all.

One solution I thought of, which is a really poor implementation... is having the GET object fetch a text file every half a second (using the ?forceload parameter, which is known to duplicate the cache), but so far, doesn't seem to work nor is it efficient nor is it healthy for the web server's storage device rapidly writing / receiving requests to read.

Any suggestions on how to go about this is greatly appreciated!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, as my full time job I do a lot with real-time communications M2M and while Ive always wanted to use MMF HTML5 to make a nice Web UI ive so far not really been able to. The HTML5 does have a websock extension but unfortunatly there is no server solution so unless like ive done and developed a web socket server in c# then your out of luck with web sockets. The only other way which I wouldnt disregard is like you have mentioned and that is to use the GET.

At every half a second, unless its on a LAN i think your going to hit major performance issues server side and limitations on network speeds (internet?), but alot of the systems ive integrated are a simply structured like so:

Server -> PUSH DATA TO MYSQL DB (local or remote)
    Client -> GET request to PHP -> PHP collects data from MYSQL DB and returns to Client.

Mysql and PHP are blisteringly fast and can handle alot of a data! Although you might just use it as the "middle man". Like i mentioned earlier, I think network speeds will be your limitation.

But this would be quite a simple process and wouldnt take long to setup at all.

Hope this helps, and if you require any help give me a shout.

Thanks
    Andy

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This can be done, I put a sample together in the App Builders Network a while back...
    http://community.clickteam.com/group.php?discussionid=123&do=discuss

Good Luck.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Gibbon and Kimera for your replies, but due to performance and reliability concerns from both methods, I think I'll pass with real-time fetching with the HTML5 exporter for now.

Nevertheless, if there's a WebSockets extension for Fusion, or another method that doesn't involve persistent sending/receiving of the same data over-an-over, I might give this another go.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use web sockets, do you program in Visual Studio?
    If so you can use Fleck to make a web socket server and use fusion to create the client, I have done it as a test just to see if I could build the websocket server and was able to do so with little effort using fleck.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, websockets are fantastic. Please give me 30 fingers and 50 hours days.