Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Total n00b enemy movement question, but I can't get this to work

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Total n00b enemy movement question, but I can't get this to work

Oh how embarrassing, but programming is not my strong suit..

I'm trying to make a simple mini game, however it's not working out too well when it comes to the enemy movements. Each enemy is a 16 x 16 square with the ball movement in the 4 main directions N/S/E/W. Each enemy has the 'Enemy' qualifier to it, and I'm using alt variable A to keep track of what direction the thing's supposed to be moving in (where 0= west, 1 = east, 2 = north, 3 = south).

Then there's an event where if group.enemy overlaps a backdrop it changes alt variable A to random (4), which should change his direction and get him moving away from the wall (in most cases, of course if that random #'s = the direction he's already going in he'd have to change his direction on a subsequent pass through the code but that's OK).

But it's not working 100% of the time. Sometimes the monster will rebound off the wall which is good. Sometimes he'll just walk right through walls and off the frame. Sometimes he'll rebound off a wall but then fail a secondary wall check and walk right through that one. I wanted to keep the overall enemy code pretty simple as far as them just moving randomly in 4 directions and changing those directions if they strike a wall. I mean this should be really easy to do, right?

Any ideas and thanks!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While your approach seems smart at first, it can quickly be complicated when you have to make sure the object only goes in the direction availible for it.
    Here's another approach you can use that is extremely simple and should work as you intend to:

* Group.Enemies collides with Background
    - Group.Enemies: Bounce
    - Group.Enemies: Set Direction to all directions (select all arrows in the direction selector, or only the 4 main ones, it doesn't matter)

* Always
    - Group.Enemies: Set Direction to Dir( "Group.Enemies" ) / 8 * 8

The last event will force the object to go to the main direction closest to its current direction.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant, Popcorn!

Thanks a lot, I'll give this a try and let you know if it works

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It works like a charm!
    I mean EXACTLY how I wanted it to work, awesome!

Thanks again!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear that!
    I actually learned something new here as well, i have struggled with the same thing before, and then i didn't think about this approach

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are you setting the direction to ALL then to dir/8*8? Why don't you just set it to the 4 directions and be done with it? (No rudeness implied, I'm just trying to understand the difference.)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you don't do the 8/8 calculation, the movement will be flawed. Test it yourself and see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I did. They both perform the same way - at least for a single object.

If you use the /8*8 calculation, you get the results 0,8,16,and 24, no? The same as if you set just the 4 directions.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but I run that calculation ALWAYS. I experienced that when we just set it to bounce and set it to 4 directions, sometimes it would still choose another direction. So the ALWAYS event correct any misdirection the object will get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are very correct. I had to let it run for a while, but it did eventually go in another direction. That's quite the bug. If I tell it to go in directions 0,8,16,or24, why would it just decide to go in direction 17?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast