User Tag List

Thread: How do I make Brawler style platforms with depth?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I make Brawler style platforms with depth?

Hi everyone,

I've always wanted to know how to make brawler style platforms. Like you see in the early stages of Double Dragon 1/2. They aren't completely 2D like in a platformer, they have depth to them but at the same time you can fall off the edge to a lower platform... or to your DOOM!

I've seen a few games pull this off in MMF, years ago, but I have no idea how it might be accomplished in a solid, bug free way. I know it was done on 8-bit systems like the Nes and Master System, so I'm fearly sure it shouldn't take any complex 3D calculations. But I haven't found any information on how it was done. So I'm asking for suggestions. Here are some examples of what I'm talking about.

I've noticed a lot of beat-em-ups, even today, don't use this very often but I think having more dynamic levels really helps the genre.

Skip to about 1:35 to see what I'm talking about.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://sonicfangameshq.com/view.php?sec=4&id=132

You can probably start off with something like this. Building different platforms and cliffs are definitely possible, but will require a bit more work. Note this is a very old example from 2005 with a .gam file extension (from the original TGF), I don't even know if F2.5 can read it with the extensions. I'm unable to check right now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, that was one of the first demo's I've found. And it's grate for the actual fighting engine. But the movement is still just on a single plane. It has jumping but it doesn't have anything on how to make the scenery so that it will have the height data.

Also, it dose open in Fusion 2.5. As long as you have the old fast loop 1.5 extension.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use a alterable value for when he jumps and then have the the sides of the cliff as an obstacle.

Example=

Event 1: When player collides with backdrop + alterable value = 0 (Stop Player)
    Event 2: Player Jumping (Alterable value set to 1)
    Event 3: NEGATE Player Jumping (Alterable value set to 0)

You can try making the platform the player stands on as a ladder so you can move around in all directions.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm that seems like a good tutorial to make.
    haha I got a couple of ideas how this could be made

maybe using an 8 direction object with a jumping animation and placing a round shadow
    at his X coordinate. I'll do a test tonight

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Tutorial would be grate, but the problem I'm having is not the movement and jumping, it's how to tell when the player has fallen off of a platform or has run into a cliff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, this is what I've come up with so fare (link bellow). I tried using the platform as a ladder, as JHale suggested but it seems ladders only have box collision detection. Dose anyone know someone whose done platforms like this before? I've seen them in a few games but it was a long time ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...p-engine_B.rar