User Tag List

Thread: Is there currently a reliable way to create a trial based on number of days?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there currently a reliable way to create a trial based on number of days?

I know there used to be a trial object but I'm pretty sure I remember reading some issues with it. Perhaps it doesn't work any more. That said, is there any reliable way to create a 14-day trial? For other programs I have just hard-coded minute-based time limits into separate .exe's and considered them a demo. For this current project, limiting time for each use would render a lot of the program unusable. Therefore, I really need a reliable way to create a demo based off days passed or total hours used. Something that will work around a simple uninstall/re-install job to reset the timer.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are multiple ways to do this. This thing is : how protected do you want it to be?
    The trial object (which may work fine, just try it!) is protected. It is also protected if you change the clock before runnning the program.
    Other solutions : poke in the registry base using the registry object (poke the absolute time when the application was started). Or save a INI file in the application data folder with the installation time.
    Basically, what you want , is a place to save the installation time of the application on the user's machine.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Another option might even be to use the GET object and store some info on your server about the app.
    If your creating an app where you also have a log in this would make the users account be limited to 14 days over a variety of computers.
    (True they could make a new account)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall CreatorInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've used both ways and they work fine.
    I've used the trial object to create a 30-day trial of my software and I also use the GET object and a file which is stored on a server for any annual renewal details.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how practical it would be, but you could create a separate frame within your application that can be called upon trial expiration that acts as a "nag screen"...with information about how to purchase and or register the product, a spot in the frame for a registration number or something, and, upon successful entry of this number, upon startup of the application, can bypass the nag screen altogether. A popup window object with a button can be added that links the user to a website or email, etc. to purchase a code or a copy of the application that does not incvlude the nag screen at all.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How well does the Trial Object work with limited user accounts in Windows? Do you have to run as administrator?

Perhaps what I should be asking is where Trial Object is placing it's data whether it's set to All Accounts or not.