User Tag List

Thread: Multiplayer Online Enemy Positions Help (Lacewing)

Clicker Fusion 2.5HTML5 Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Multiplayer Online Enemy Positions Help (Lacewing)

Ok, after a long time of attempting to create a multiplayer online game, I've found a working example on the clickstore, and started working from it. I created a simple shooting engine, capable of killing each player. But, I want to add enemies to the project and track their positions from the hosts side. The thing is, I don't know how I'd be able to track more than one enemy! For my current demo, a Solomon Grundy image is the enemy(a joke with my friend), who is using a bouncing ball movement. Help would be very appreciated.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you really must store the enemy positions server side it could be a problem if you are using a server made in MMF. Dynamically scaling an array to store this data for each game maybe an issue. Unless you are going to cap the enemy count per game. If you do that you could create a 3D array which will contain Enemy values (X ) (position, target, hp, type, ...), Enemy number (Y), Game number (Z). I'd recommend making the server side in C++ because you can then dynamically create an array of structures to store the game/quest data.

Syncing the position of an enemy will be laggy as soon as you scale it up. You could opt not to track the enemies position and just pass the starting data of the enemy (position, angle, attack pattern) to each player and sync some data when the enemy attacks. Then, because players would all have the same engine the enemy should remained sync'd. Of course in the real world it doesn't always work too well. Even big MMO's have sync issues. You just need to come up with a way that will work best for you. finding the best balance between accuracy and network load.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @danworth if you are experiencing issues with lag related to many enemies, you might be accidentally using TCP for position updates - you need to use UDP instead. Once you offload the position updates to UDP then your TCP performance should improve significantly. (TCP is "Send" and UDP is "Blast")

I would recommend managing multiple array objects (n per game) instead of storing everything in a preset number of array objects.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clicker Fusion 2.5HTML5 Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help! I'll try these methods out and see what works for me.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan: I see, you mean having chunks/biomes/areas that are linked together in a world. That under these terms are stored in "dynamic arrays". I assume you refer to the multidimensional properties of c++ arrys would make things easier.

I think it's a complicated issue in any environment, to me it was more of a planning/logic hardship (to make unlimited axis). Scaling of position values is a bit scary to use in fusion, at least if one does not use value-extensions. Sounds like you make servers for fusion games in c++ with lacewing.. neat.

I use cheap gateways and friends to simulate ping or distances, how do you guys test extrapolation?

24games: sounds like your world is designed by you.. not players or the computer. In this scenario it might be possible to save the world in one big array/list. As for your enemy problem, their whereabouts should 9 of 10 times be saved at server or the peer acting server (in a list of any kind).

If you want a simple way out, let fusion check collisions with actual objects. The picture below shows a simple "hide 'n go seek" lan-game. It's.. very simplified. I wanted to test raytracing on server fast.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To have multiple games on one server I would have one main frame that handled the creation of new games, and then created a new sub-application object for the game that uses the serverside game logic frame. The sub-application objects wouldn't interfere with each other and thus you can have multiple games seamlessly.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3