User Tag List

Thread: Is there a value roof?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Is there a value roof?

This is just something I have been wondering about. Is there a roof to the value of a value? If you have an always event to add 1 to a value, is there a point the value will be so high it will no longer add anything?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But to reach that number it would take a long time even if you added 1 every second. Anyone know the exact time?

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be more precise

Minutes: 35791394.11
    Hours: 596523.23
    Days: 24855.11
    Years: 68.09

and if you get a power outage, or windows Crashes... your SOL and you can start all over again

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, the limit is really, really high. It's there, though, so make sure to remember it if you plan on using huge numbers for stuff. I can think of a place where you could actually hit that limit, for example: If you have an RPG with a level-up system where you can level up an unlimited number of times, and your stats are, say, doubled each time you level up, you could hit that limit pretty quickly, so there are ways it can be reached. It would take about 28 level ups or so (calculate it for yourself if you want to know the exact amount, the only reason it might be more or less is that I may have calculated slightly wrong, though I did use the built-in calculator on Windows, so I find it unlikely) to reach stats at about 26,843,545,600 (the limit: 21,47,483,647) if each stat started at 100, to give you an idea on how it is technically speaking possible to reach the limit, even if it takes some very bad design decisions to do so.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can just use floating point numbers instead (i.e. decimal numbers). That gives you an infinitely long range, but with limited precision for large numbers.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks this is good to know. I will only use add 1 for this particular thing I am doing now so I think 68 years is ok :p But yes exponensioally i see how it is a problem. Got me thinking of the mind bogling thing about if you could fold a paper 40 times it would reach up to the moon http://www.omgfacts.com/lists/7591/I...reach-the-moon