User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what resolution to use while developing for android?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what resolution to use while developing for android?

Hi

I just started working on a small commercial android game.I really wanted to know what is the best resolution to prefer while
    developing on android.Please help

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's really hard to tell because of the many screen resolutions you can find on Android devices. I usually make my projects "720p" (1280x720). This is a 16:9 aspect resolution that, when scaled, will fully fit most Android device screens (or most of them). It is, also, not too high, helping the game to run more smoothly. You won't, however, benefit from higher resolution screens.

While playing the same project on iOS devices, mainly iPads, expect black bars to show up.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    480 X 320 with fit outside option will support 99.9% of phones perfectly... for some reason everyone wants to make needlessly high resolution games even when their graphics look quite amateur.. unless you have decent quality high resolution assets, just stick with something basic like 480 x 320. It will scale up nicely and expand the Window to fill the screen completely so even really odd aspect ratios with really wide screens etc will have a nice full screen display with no distortion.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say it depends on the art style. Hd graphics should be at least 1280x720 depending on the game and what all you must run. But thats a good standard. Pixel art style should never go higher than 640x360, in my opinion. Even that is a stretch.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend definitely to go for a higher resolution, not necessary HD (it could be to heavy) but still high enough so it shows well on tablets.

Here you have all the info you need:
    http://developer.android.com/intl/es...s_support.html

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally, I use 800x480 and stretch to fill.

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using 960 x 540 for Android.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend using "fit inside and adjust window size" with frame size 1280x810 and window size 1080x720.

That will scale perfectly with everything from 4:3 (1080x810) to 16:9 (1280x720). Very good resolution with no borders, distortion or stretching, and you have full control over visible elements, just make sure to keep what the player needs to see/touch within the 1080x720 visible area or move it dynamically with the x/y coordinates of top-frame, left-frame etc.

Of course depends on the design of the game, you could f.ex use half the size for a pixel art game.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do something like SoftWareworlf do.....but I make a frame with 1280x720 and application with 960x640.....then.....if the device have more height or width....it will show the rest of the frame size (using fit inside and adjust)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both are excellent solutions and it is the way to go by changes of ratio, 16:9 and 4:3, present in most devices!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast