User Tag List

Thread: Why is physics engine not timer-based?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is physics engine not timer-based?

Fusion's help file defines timer-based movements as:

Timer-based movements
    When this option is selected, the movement and animation speed of the objects in this frame is based on the exact time difference, making it independent from the machine speed.
    I'm wondering why doesn't this apply to the physics engine? When I run my game on different devices, the impact of impulse (movement --> physics --> add impulse) is vastly different depending on the overall performance. Basically, on devices with lower FPS, the impact of incremental impulse added to physics objects is greater.

I have timer-based movements enabled in the frame properties, and also tried the old machine-independent speed option.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Because I did not implement it. It is not a default option of Box2D, it needs work on the programmer side.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any news on this issue? I would really love to have an option for controlling physics timer based! physics can get really buggy if the game suffers from framerate drops and there is no option to run the engine independent from framerate...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would be an awesome option to have, especially for physics simulation on mobile devices where the FPS can drop fairly heavily on some devices.

I've been reading about possible fixes and came across this article - http://saltares.com/blog/games/fixin...gdx-and-box2d/

If there's any chance we can get something that could fix this, it would be awesome!