User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best way to go about screen shake?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to go about screen shake?

Hello, I want to implement screen shake into my game. I'm using PMO for the movement of my character, and it's a platformer game, the camera follows the player.

I can't really think of a way to implement screen shake, except for moving every object on screen at the same rate and imitating the screen shake. While this would work(I think), it is very tedious. Although, if there's no alternative then I'd do it this way.

Is there anything implemented in order to do some screen shaking?

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I think you could make a separate ball object which always follows the player and you let the camera follow the ball instead of the player. So if the player has been hit the ball shakes or makes a move pattern so the camera shakes too. Another advantage of a seperate ball which the camera follows object is that you can look around with your charachter without move the player for example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the excellent suggestion.

But, how would I make the ball shake if it always follows the player? I mean, I could always offset the co-ordinates myself, but that would be very tedious and choppy.

Is there a move pattern that's based on an off-set from another object?

Because right now, I've 2 actives. 1 For camera, and the other one for the shaking action. The camera's X is bound to the player, the Y is static. The shaking active is based on a path movement. As you can see, the shaking active will move its Y but not it's X, since its X is bound to the camera's X. If I unbind it, then the camera will be left behind while the player advances.

Thanks a ton!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I did some screenshake myself with some timer magic and generating random offsets. But, I'd still love to know if there's a way to make the path shake work, allows for more control.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a method similar to what K_Tetsu mentioned. This may not be perfect but it works for me i made a separate object follow the player, center your frame position so that it follows only the shaker object, and in the properties i set it to path movement with a bunch of line segments, then check the "move at start" box to make it empty. Then when you have the collision, just make an event like this:

(this would be an example like say a giant monster was chasing you)
    - Monster Collides with background
    + only one action when event loops => (screen shake object) start (under movement)

Then make an individual event like so to put the shaker back where it needs to go AFTER movement:
    - Screen Shaker has reached the end of its path => set screen shake object to position of player

If you need more help with this let me know and i'll make you an example when i get a free minute, good luck!

Clicker Install Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best way is to combine the camera object with the shake widget. So if you were hit it shakes after that it can be a ball movement again and follow the player . As I tested it in some of my creations its important to maintain a very smooth camera following by using the deccleration of the ball isntead of stopping.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [Bit of an old thread, but I thought it would be best to not create yet another one on the same topic]

The methods described here for shaking the screen (always center on an object whose X and Y values are randomly jiggled) only work when the central object is a certain distance from the edge of the play area. As soon as you move the character (or whatever you have set your camera to follow) to the edge of the play area, the screen will not shake, as the "center screen at X/Y" refuses to display any pixels past the play area.

You can easily test this yourself by opening up the shaker widget that DaveC linked to, and moving the red shaker object into the edge of the play area. If you move it close to the left or right edge, X shake will no longer happen. If you move it close to the top or bottom edge, Y shake will no longer happen.

Does anyone know a way around this issue? I'd like to be able to shake the screen even if my character is at the edge of the play area, even if it means filling in the non-play-area pixels with black.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done a bit of lazy/hack solution to this in the past... I give my level a border manually and limit the scrolling on the top/bottom/left/right sides so that there is always plenty of room to shake..

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah, that's a good idea. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast