User Tag List

Thread: Online messaging app (with or without webhost?)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Online messaging app (with or without webhost?)

I've finished some games now and want to take things to a next level, but after a day of doing research I'm still unsure where to begin.

I have a game in mind with the following element in it:
    players write a message and send it off. Meanwhile, messages sent by other players sometimes appear in the screen. You can click on them to reply to the sender.

This seemed so simple so I saved that mechanic for last, but it turns out I've completely underestimated the challenge. I've so far failed to figure out whether or not this inevitably requires a webhost (maybe not because it's live-play and these messages don't need to be stored or remembered anywhere, think an Omegle system), whether or not this requires the GET-object and if yes, how to use it.

Is it possible someone could give me a tip to help me on my way?

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you would definitely need a server to manage everythingz for the win.
    You could use a LaceWing to host a peer server and manage messages.
    You can either host the dedicated server yourself (you would still need to get a webhost (www.yourcompany.com) if your ip is not static, and store dedicated-server information like your ip)
    or you can just rent a dedicated server to host lacewing and manage everything ( but this option is more expensive )
    another good option is to make a php based server to manage the messages, so you don't need a dedicated server.
    but yeah , you would definitely need a server.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm thank you for your explanation. I was hoping that it'd be possible that the user's device would be its own server as long as the app is active. All messages coming by are at that moment from users who are using the app. Even if that works, an actual server would take that dependency away.

Sadly though, I need to postpone my idea for the time being. I really like what I had in mind, but it's too complicated for me to achieve right now. I'll wait until I have more knowledge about IP's, hosting and php. If I'm really lucky, a social extension might be made available to make things easier.