Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Confused about Binary Data & temporary filenames

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confused about Binary Data & temporary filenames

I decided to try using binary data and followed the .pdf tutorial here.

This is the original file path, leading to an image: "C:\Project\sprites\character.png"

I ran into some problems right away, assuming I could simply extract the file only referencing the sub-folder and the file ("sprites\character.png"), rather than the complete path. Obviously it showed up when just testing the game, but when I built the .exe it wouldn't. So, I went back and entered the full path and now it works after I build. However, out of curiousity, I created a String Object that displays the temporary binary filename and rebuilt the .exe, but it's still just the original path. Did I miss something?

As I intend to release the game for Android as well, would I have to re-program the pathways for the extraction and release of the binary data, or can I just keep the "temporary binary filename"-bit and the game will figure it out?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    As per the Tutorial, PC runtime binary extraction is different than any other platform. You extract the full file and reference it by its Temp Binary Filename.

With Android/iOS and Flash etc. you load by calling the entire filename as it appears in the dialog, so if your file is c:\test.bmp then in everything but PC runtime, you just load the file "c:\test.bmp". Even thought test.bmp doesn't exist on your users hard drive, you're not calling that actual filename, you're just calling the reference in the binary object list.

With PC, you have to strictly adhere to what's written in the guide. That's a fully-fledged guide on Binary Data in 2.5
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I was reading that guide but there were some things that I wasn't sure about. I understand that you don't have to take into consideration what the temporary name is for the other platforms.

My concern was only whether using the GetTempName function would still get me the proper filename when running the game in Android. If not, I'll need some extra code for releasing and reading files, as I already have it adapted to windows.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ah, no it won't. You will have to write separate events for this dependent on what objects you use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that's good to know!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danny, a consultation, do I extract file and release file from an INI file on every level of my game? I am following the tutorial, but this does not specify it... can you help me?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUnicode Add-onInstall Creator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confused about Binary Data & temporary filenames

The INI object is able to load the via Binary Data included file without the need for extraction. Just load a new INI with the full path from your computer and via Binary Data included files will also be loaded on other computers without this file. The same with the exporters. In this case you don't have to change anything between the different releases.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gustav thank you for your answer, but I have it and does not work on Windows, for exporters Yes.

Does not work me making extraction INI as Danny explains in his tutorial, my file is called UFU.ini and have it as well with Binary Data: C.\UFU.ini

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUnicode Add-onInstall Creator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh... It seems it's not working any longer without extracting the INI manually. So you have to extract it before on Windows runtime...

Are you loading the included INI file with this expression?

Extract "C.\UFU.ini"
    Load INI with BinFileTempName$("C.\UFU.ini" )
    Release "C.\UFU.ini"

This is working. I've tested it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Gustav, how do is part?

Load INI with BinFileTempName$("C.\UFU.ini" )

The other that I am thinking of is having problems with write permissions since the ini file is in the C: root, if I can read the values of the file most can't write them.

Use Windows 7,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast