User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Metroidvania/ HUB Level Design Possibility?

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Metroidvania/ HUB Level Design Possibility?

What's the best way to go about making a "Metroidvania" kind of level progression in Fusion 2.5? As in, loading multiple level layouts likely across many, many frames, with the ability to backtrack and the like as well as having the game remember which enemies are defeated and which items have been previously grabbed?

I'm looking to make something with "HUB level design" similar to how Hexen played, where solving a puzzle on one level/ frame, would open up a door, raise stairs, fill a pit with water, etc.; on another level/ frame.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could make the whole game in 1 frame, loading levels from an array. (then you make a level editor to create the levels rather than use Fusions built in frame editor) Or you can simply create your levels in separate frames and use global values +ini/array to load relevant data at the start of each frame.

for example, if you wanted the game to detect whether or not the player had already collected a key and to display it or not display it:

START OF FRAME
    global value = 0 - create key
    global value = 1 - destroy key

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take it there are tutorials for things like level editors around here somewhere, hopefully?

As for separate frames, would having multiple frames all having copies of the same code in it cause memory issues, or start to make the game file huge? And the same for copies of objects needed in those frames, global or otherwise?

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about straight tutorials, but I have some open source examples on my website.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Roleplay View Post
    As for separate frames, would having multiple frames all having copies of the same code in it cause memory issues, or start to make the game file huge? And the same for copies of objects needed in those frames, global or otherwise?
    The difficulty with this approach is that if you need to change the way a core part of your game works you then need to copy it into all the other frames.

Using the global event list mitigates that somewhat, and is a more straightforward approach than designing your entire game within one frame.

I wouldn't worry about memory unless you are building for mobile devices.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay away from multiple frames, you'll never finish your game this way. It's the kind of thing you need to experience to fully understand the downfalls of it, but it will basically turn coding into a grind... bugs will never get fixed, features can't be easily added, you can't build on your engine for a sequel, so many inherent problems.

Using the global event list mitigates that somewhat, and is a more straightforward approach than designing your entire game within one frame.
    The global event list introduces new problems, it's something I also recommend avoiding.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously, is there a known "best practice" for making a global engine, besides remaking parts of MMF inside MMF?

I've heard that Global objects with Behaviors is a good way to go but I've never tried it myself.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm completely with DaveC and Ryan.

Whilst Fusion allows the flexibility to span across multiple frames, making organisation easier, it also allows for rapid engine development using one-frame. I haven't designed a multi-frame based game for years. If you learn the basics on Arrays and INI file saving/loading, develop your own external level editor and create a 'load routine' inside your one-frame engine. This way everything is contained to one-frame, easier to debug and much easier to update.
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also agree that the single engine frame/array method is the best way to go - my own metroidvania does it this way - but it's advice I feel slightly uncomfortable giving out to everyone, especially if they're just starting out. Learning how to do things that will benefit you in the long-run is great, of course, but one of the best features of MMF *over other game creation tools* is that it allows for incredibly fast development. Not so much if you have to remake part of the tool yourself.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... If you learn the basics on Arrays and INI file saving/loading, develop your own external level editor and create a 'load routine' inside your one-frame engine. This way everything is contained to one-frame, easier to debug and much easier to update.
    Is there a tutorial of how to create a "level editor" and how to only use one frame in CF?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast