User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Binary data wont load in exe build

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Binary data wont load in exe build

I am trying to get a simple text file to embed itself into my exe. For some reason, the exe still tries to read the external file. I followed the Binary Data guide and have a few start of frame events:

+Start of Frame
    - (System obj) Extract binary file "D:\blah\blah\file.txt"

+Start of Frame
    - (List obj) Load list file BinFileTempName$("D:\blah\blah\file.txt")

I have also tried:

+Start of Frame
    - (System obj) Extract binary file "D:\blah\blah\file.txt"

+Start of Frame
    - (List obj) Load list file "D:\blah\blah\file.txt"

So far the file is only loading if it exists at that path's location. It is in the Binary Data Elements list, but doesn't seem to be packaged with the exe.

Any ideas?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This works for me....

txt list.zip

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You don't need to extract the file with most of the Clickteam objects. Just load the file as you would do normally with the normal pathname, for example Apppath$ + "file.txt" and the file will be loaded from the EXE if it's referenced in the Binary Data list:

+Start of Frame
    - (List obj) Load list file "D:\blah\blah\file.txt"

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's important not to forget the apppath$ command, otherwise binary data will not be included in the EXE. In editor mode data is loaded even if you forget the apppath$ line. This confused me when I started working with binary data.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yves: Ok, not to be rude, but then that "guide" written by Danny (http://community.clickteam.com/threads/84320-A-Guide-to-using-Binary-Data-(Windows-Exporters)) is very misleading. I tried your simplified approach and when I build, then rename the external txt file, then run the exe, the game can't find the data the list file provides (my level tile positions are read from the list). If I don't rename the txt file, the game loads the list file data, which makes me think the external file is still being used. Can you think of any other reason the file would not load from Binary Data? Should I email my file to you to make sure it isn't corrupted in some way?

zimo: That example works for me if I build it. Not sure how it is different from my approach, other than my list object is hidden. The only weird thing I found is that when I run the exe you included, the list object is horizontally tretched to fill the window. When I run the exe I build on my own, the list is not stretched to fill the window width. Did you send me the exact mfa you used to build your exe?

Julian82: Apppath$ is not fixing the issue.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    works for me. using apppath$ and working with an external array file.

The process in the pdf above could be for other (non-CT) extensions.

Clicker

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only odd thing that I might be doing is version control. Every day I work on the file I duplicate my project folder and rename it with a new date. This makes the binary data file path update. But I have to manually change the event paths. Could this have caused the binary data files to stop embedding?

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You should post a mfa so that we can see what's wrong in it.

Clicker

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure why, but this morning I rebooted my PC and on opening the mfa, MMF prompted me to find the text file (it was pointing to an old location). Now the Binary Data is working as expected. I have no idea why it didn't work before but at least the problem is fixed now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mobichan,

Can you help me with this? I have an INI file in my Binary Data, I extract it and after I read it perfectly, the problem is when the execution of the game ends it is as if it had been a temporary file and if I boot my game again I have no record of achievements. I check the file in the C: root of my drive and is the file with all the values to "0" and nothing in "1", really do not understand what's happening.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast