User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Serious Slowdown on Win 8, runs perfect in XP, WHY??

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serious Slowdown on Win 8, runs perfect in XP, WHY??

God this is killing me. Every time lately I try to move a project from XP (my build computer) to test it on another much better computer that's running Windows 8 my game runs at a CRAWL. It's happening again with another game I'm making now. I've tried compiling it using both standard and HWA modes and it's still chugging to the tune of 5-10 fps if I had to even guess.

There's nothing godly to this thing, no super giant loops from Mars, no one billion particle effects..

I don't get it, how is it something like this can run much much better on an older computer / OS?

Is there even a way around this? It's extremely disheartening. I've been at this project for a solid week and this isn't what I was hoping for come testing time

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, looking back through some older threads like this I saw somebody suggest turning on the V Synch (which I did) and then compiled as HWA 3D9.
    Well, everything moves much better except for when the frame's scrolling and then it goes back to chuggsville.

What I mean is that if the camera is at the edge of the frame and not scrolling everything is fine and the guy moves normally with zero slowdown.But moving from one end of the frame to the other slows everything down (ex. a rectangular frame where the guy can move normally at either end but not in the middle bits).

Can anybody suggest a method to solve slowdown while the frame is scrolling (ex. following the main character around)?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another update on this: Okay so compiled with V-Sync and HWA 3D9 it also runs perfectly on a machine with Windows 7. Looks like just Windows 8 is the sonofabitch in question.

What's your opinion on this? Should I just make the thing with the disclaimer "Only works on XP and Win 7?"
    I mean is that an acceptable way to handle public distribution?

For the 100+ people who've viewed this so far: Have you been able to make an MMF2 action / platformer that runs smoothly and at a good framerate on Windows 8 at all? Is Windows 8 even that commonly used? Sorry for all the questions, I'm old and sort of live in a *bubble*

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it Win8.1? Or Win8.0? 8.0 is messed up max.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure but I'll check when I get home.
    Thanks for the reply, Marv!!

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well for starters, XP is 10x better than windows8 (which nobody should have!) done.

start complaining if it occurs in windows10

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, Windows XP isn't better than Windows 8.1. It might be better than Windows 8. Honestly, I have Windows 8 (and updated to 8.1, of course) and love it (possibly because of the fact that I have a touchscreen on my laptop), and have had no big performance issues like this on it. If anything, performance on it is better than past versions of Windows. Windows 8 takes getting used to, but it's overall a change that I consider for the better, especially since it's laying down the framework for Windows 10, which seems like it's going to be awesome.

Also, I've heard that basicallyevery version of Windows ever was hated at launch. Technically speaking, Vista wasn't so horrible after the Service Packs from my understanding, though the damage for that one had already been done because of how long it took. I've actually heard that even XP had issues at first, mainly with security.

Also, XP has been discontinued. If anything, that's the version of Windows that nobody should have, because no more security updates, and that means viruses will be a major problem (even with virus scanners). Also, Windows 8.1 is decent with a touch screen, which I have on my laptop, so technically some people have a use for it (so therefore some people should have it). Anyone using XP should upgrade to at least Windows 7. If they have a touchscreen, then they should upgrade to Windows 8.1 instead, quite honestly, since it's actually great for touchscreens (even better with touchscreen+mouse).

Last note: It's getting late here, so even if I wanted this post to be longer, it can't be. As a result, disclaimer, just because I usually am worried that I may have said something that I wouldn't have said if I wasn't so tired when I post so late: This post may have grammatical issues, spelling issues, research issues, etc. It may also sound more attacking and hostile than I meant it to sound. If it has any of those issues, and it bothers you, then I apologize in advance.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Windows 8.1

No idea why it runs so poorly on this machine but it does. So chances are it won't work on 8.0 either which is just fantastic. So that's about ~80%+ of my eventual target audience..

Do you guys have MMF2 platformers that feature scrolling in a frame larger than the visible frame area that run normally and if so for which O/S please?

@happygreenfrog: I don't mind my XP machine because it's not connected to the internet (was done so I'd never have viruses and etc on it).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, a Windows XP computer not connected to the internet should be completely safe, so that's just fine.

I've made MMF2/CF2.5 platformers before (both MMF2 and CF2.5), with larger-than-the-screen scrolling, and while I haven't tested the ones made in MMF2 on Windows 8.1, I've tested the ones made in CF2.5 on Windows 8.1 with no issues. What graphical objects are you using? Those may affect this big-time.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing too fancy, just regular active objects for the hero (1), a few enemies per screen, some backdrops and stuff. No crazy particle effects, no million super advanced alogorythms and all that stuff. I've even messed with the # of active objects allowed on the screen to see if that helped (I think it's at 10,000 right now, to which I have way way less but I'm trying everything I can to fix this).

I have the subscreen and all that set to another layer that's hidden using the layer object if that makes a difference. The subscreen also uses active objects for the slots of a paper-doll type of equipped inventory and another, separate inventory for items not equipped. That's maybe 14 more actives right there.

One thing is that I'm using the color replacer upon frame load and playing an OGG on repeat for the music. I've used these both before with no problems for my Equin game but could the ORDER in which I'm doing these make any difference? I know that's a big left-field guess but who knows?

One error I've gotten on the Windows 7 machine I saw pop up yesterday- and it's only occassionally but it does happen- is sometimes an active(s) will display a picture from a completely different frame that I was previously on. Like that picture it's showing on the active object is NOWHERE else on that frame. Could that be some sort of memory bug or wherever MMF2 stores the graphic cache or something? Or maybe this graphical glitch will lead to answers for the slowdown (?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast