User Tag List

Thread: Public domain video codec that works for everybody, does one exist?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Public domain video codec that works for everybody, does one exist?

Hey guys!

Does anyone know if there is 100% free to use video codec/format, that is of good quality and size? I'd love to render a logo and show it in the beginning of my game.
    Oh yeah, and it must be something that computers can run native so there is no need to install codecs for that.

If not, what would be the most affordable solution?

Cheers!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are just aiming for Windows, use WMV (I'm pretty sure it comes installed by default on most newer versions of Windows these days)

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh it does not require any licenses?
    Gotta Google here, thanks for the heads up. I'll report back once I find some info about it in case someone else is wondering.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must be really bad with the Google as I can't find any license information about WMV!
    If I can use it, it would be ideal as I'm developing for Windows only at the moment.

Can someone help me please?

I think I could use it, but I want to make sure.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I found about it is - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ents-licensing

"To get object code implementations of the Windows Media Audio and Video codecs (review the technical details here) and to distribute these implementations on a royalty-bearing basis in customer-ready Final Products, you'll need to execute the following agreement. Final Products can be non-Windows software apps or hardware devices."

It's pretty vague wording but from reading the part above I get the gist that they only want people that aren't using Windows to license it.

This is also a good read - http://bitsquid.blogspot.com.au/2012...ith-video.html - It would be nice to get an extension that plays the VP8 format as it seems like the most flexible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi RhysD!

That's the part I found too but could not understand what it actually meant (I suck in technical words/terms). I think you are right there, would make sense too.

A nice read indeed! Thank you very much, you have been awfully helpful!

Clicker The Games Factory 2
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say go with VLC.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While this may not be the answer: OGG Theora is a very good, free and open video container (Vorbis the one used for audio). There's nothing to worry about when it comes to licensing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theora

The only downside is that I'm not aware of any extension or a way for Fusion to read and play OGG files without some third party dependency...
    And I believe Windows (quite arrogantly) doesn't support OGG out-of-the-box