User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best way to send messages to sub-application?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to send messages to sub-application?

Wondering what's the best way to send a message (such as 'mybutton' clicked) from the main app to a sub app and vice-versa? It doesn't have to be text, just a simple switch event.

Global values are actually one of the worst ways, given that you have to constantly check for them to ensure responsiveness, this chews up precious CPU.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'd say global values. Depending how you use sub-app, can you put the global value event in a group and activate accordingly? This way it would not check it constantly.
    Other way is that maybe you could add an cooldown? Value A => 0 = Check the global value.

Just thoughts, not sure if these would work for your needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah this is what I'm already doing and it's not optimal. Kernel can send messages between applications that are kind of like 'on click' events, meaning they only activate when they occur, but Kernel object has been so hit/miss for me with reliability I'm very hesitate to use it.

Clicker The Games Factory 2
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry if I come off as blatantly ignorant here, that's not my intention anyways. A bit more info would be good to have. What does your main application do, and what does the sub application do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lets say somebody clicks on a button in my sub-app. I want to tell my main app 'button was clicked'

Set global value to 1
    Global value = 1
    - do this

is fairly inefficient because 50 frames a second it's checking 'is global value 1'.

On mouse button pressed does not check 50 frames a second because it's a windows message to the application, it only checks when window receives a message. I'm trying to do something similar, just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleFirefly 3D ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always used global values and strings, but this got me curious. I did a test and set a counter as a global object, copied and pasted it on frame 2. When the counter was set to 1 on frame one, frame two counter was also set to 1 (jump to frame two). However, when I set frame two to be used in the sub application, the counter on frame two never changed. Might be something I missed. You may want to look into it further. I did a search in help in CF for "global object".

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would using "only one action when event loops" work in your situation? It would limit the checking, but I get the impression that won't help you since you mentioned having to constantly check to ensure responsiveness with the subapp. And it sounds like what you're doing is advanced so I imagine if that was a possibility you'd have already done it.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ryan, in your main app don't check for A = 1.

Check that A <> 0 then activate a group that handles all the A= conditions. I understand you will be trying to make your app consume as less cpu as poss but activating the split second it's needed. Unfortunately your app is a background process, effectively so the user has to allow for a slight overhead.

This is the best method I can think of out of allmy years practicing n developing similar techniques.
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting Danny,
    Would using Kernel / Windows Message Pro to send a message to the main app be more efficient than this or less efficient?

I'll implement A <> 0. The problem is amplified in my case, because I don't have one button, but I have about 12 that need to communicate with the main app. Perhaps I'll create a 'Message Sent' global variable that the main app checks for and activates a group to receive all messages, this would eliminate the amplification of the problem.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would say using Kernel or Windows Message Pro (in terms of efficiency) is def. less efficient as you're adding an additional overhead (going around the houses so to speak). Communicating with the app via shared Global Values is near-native as you can get so that would def. be the most efficient approach.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast