User Tag List

Thread: Pixel Style Game - What Resolution?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Pixel Style Game - What Resolution?

If I┤d like to create a pixel sized / style game similar to this:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/iVYNQ.png

The Background is 480 x 320
    The Players size is about 50 pixel high

I want to create an ios / android game -> Resolution of 1136 x 640 or more.

Would you:
    - Double our Quad scale the 50pixel sized Character to 100 or 200 and use a 1136 x 640 frame
    - Leave the pixel art as it is - let the device scale everything up (without smooth resizing) and use a 480 x 320 frame

Thx guys!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    original resolution and let the device scale it up. That's the way most of these games are made, unless you have a ton of text and would benefit from higher resolution fonts or something.

Clicker Fusion 2.5iOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say device scaling, but if you want to have more fancy stuff like way smoother scrolling or zooming (like you see in SB:SaS) I've experimented with a solution which involves placing your low-res graphics in the centre of the frame and then zooming in (no aa) with only that layer. This allows for other neat tricks like a hi-res HUD on a different layer etc. It would also reduce the memory necessary for 2,3/4x object textures to achieve the same effect.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx guys. I will do it this way! @SolarB: your idea sounds great - but I┤m not sure if I understand. If you have a simple example of this somewhere - this would be great! But anyway - thx for the help!