User Tag List

Thread: Help - character not.. "standing up"?

Clicker Fusion 2.5SWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help - character not.. "standing up"?

alright, im sorry for the weird title and im pretty new here, but i had a question that might seem obvious but im still working on it. so im making a game thats pretty open map, you can walk freely and interact freely - but the problem begins with the character's head smacking the top of the object its trying to pass (meaning that when he collides with it to start with, his movement is supposed to stop)

for example, if i had a rock i wanted my character to walk around, id walk down to go around it, but CANT fully walk around it until the top of my character's head is cleared. meaning that my character is somehow bumping his head on a rock on the ground. it seems like hes laying DOWN on the map. (my game is NOT in side-scroller style, so i think that might be why?)

(if i need to attach pics or anything just let me know, i know this probably sounds confusing 8( )

now ive tried numerous tricks, like setting boundaries higher up so he gets closer to walls or setting the hotspot down to the lowest-centered point - neither work. still head smacking

HOW do i fix this, does anyone know??

weird methods ive tried: making two active objects with movement, and making the collision relative to the smaller active object at his feet so that THAT active object gets stopped instead of him bumping his head which DOES work, but is a bit sloppy and not to mention glitchy

is there a way to make the smaller active object's movement relative to my player so that it follows him around then? or is there a better way to make him.. "stand up"?

once again i know this probably sounds hilarious but im stumped

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trick is to have a "base" detector, an object that your player sprite follows. This base detector will be used for all movement and collisions, the player sprite will follow the base detector etc.

If you want a smoother/less sticky/glitchy movement, you will have to make a custom movement - but this example demonstrates the concept in a very simple way, using the built in 8 direction movement.
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I take advantage of this answer (I use the same method, btw, with a "base" object at the foot of player)
    to ask something that was already brewing in my brain:
    what's so bad about built-in movements?
    (just to point out: I'm not saying that DaveC was implying this opinion in his answer)

I often read of custom-made movements, that seems a very popular option,
    and at the same time I often see poor opinions about built-in options.

I recently switched back from custom to builtin an that eased my coding in appreciable manner,
    and movements still look good to me.
    Wondering how and in how many situations this does not apply?

Clicker Fusion 2.5SWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh wow i literally want to crawl up on this roof and shout my thanks into the sky. just listen youll probably hear me

but seriously thank you so much @DaveC , it works!