User Tag List

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: 2d Metroidvania Platformer: Jarvis

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @mobichan: As long as it's only the blade that changes shape it's doable at this point(entirely an issue of scope and remaining budget!) I could even make it change depending on your equipped talisman, so it'd actually be a weapon change.

But I have a feeling that won't be entirely enough for something like hammers - It'll probably look weird handling it the same way that he handles the blade? At least the timing/speed would have to change with heavier start, and recovery after a swing, no? Maybe I could tamper with the animation speed somehow?

A bare minimum idea is that your talisman changes the length and width of the slashes(like short sword vs a claymore).

The snow is currently a simple a physics particle effect without any collision or "fancy" settings turned on. I'm actually unsure how performance heavy it is!

I've played with the idea of somehow rendering it as one active but it'd have to be either tiled perfectly or a really big single object.

Another idea I have is making an actual shader effect that moves tiny pixels around. But I don't know if that would be heavier or faster than just using current effect.

@Volnaiskra: Those are among my references actually! I also check out various 2d fighting games.

I think the issue I'm fighting is that I need to be careful with what particular move that I go with since I do have limited space for moves on the key combinations.

So I need to make sure that the new move adds something that the current moves doesn't. Or figure out some new way to handle a wider set of moves on the fly. One idea on my mind is adding 1 more attack button and use the same key combinations that I do for the current attack button but with different moves. I have a naggin' feeling that It might get confusing though. I also play with the idea of having timed combos (pressing Attack, attack, attack would do something differently than Attack, <pause>, attack, attack. The issue with that though is that you can get your timing thrown off during the slight freezes upon striking enemies.

@zip2kx: Yeah, I've seen his presentation on it a while back! While I haven't played Bayonetta I thought Metal Gear Rising had some neat over-the-top stuff!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So uh... After messing around a lot with the controls and such(more specifically the Dash) recently and getting some good feedback in this thread I decided to pull the ol' switchieroonie and put the attack that I was currently wrecking my head over on hold for now and revived the idea for this one:

During a Dash press Attack for a devastating charge attack. It works great on single ground targets and also on bunched up clusters of enemies.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks good.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rebel!

I also forgot to mention that I'm reworking the idle animation(shows up at the end of the last gif). There's a bit more bounce in the new one, though it probably need a few more passes. Currently it reminds me of one of those old Disney cartoons where nobody can seem to stand still!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I finally got sick of staring at the Options UI events and had to take a break...

And by break I mean playing around with this thing that the feature creep keep whispering in my ear about:

The little bar to the top-right might be familiar to those of you who have played Devil May Cry. In those games the idea is that the higher rank you score, the more points you get to buy new stuff with. It is determined by how well you beat the stuffing out of your enemies without getting hit in the process and use variation in your attacks.

In Jarvis the idea is that it will decide how high the EXP, Gems and Item Drop Chance will be. I am also removing the "attack variation part" out of the equation as I don't think that particular detail will work as well in Jarvis.

So when fully implemented: If an enemy dies while your ranking is at a specific level, that will determine what you'll get.

For example:
    Rank D = 1 Gem, Bonus 0% EXP, and Bonus 0% Drop Rate.
    Rank C = 2 Gems, Bonus 2.5% EXP, and Bonus 1% Drop Rate.
    Rank B = 3 Gems, Bonus 5% EXP, and Bonus 2% Drop Rate.
    Rank A = 4 Gems, Bonus 7.5% EXP, and Bonus 3% Drop Rate.
    Rank S = 5 Gems, Bonus 10% EXP, and Bonus 4% Drop Rate.

The Numbers would most likely have to be tweaked but that's the idea at least.

Also I'm not sure I'll go with ranking letters. Perhaps a flame that burns brighter and intense as you fill that bar?

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, would be kind of cool to have some visual cues on the counter to indicate when or at which parts the grade shifts. DMC and those games do it with the hit counter but simple notches on the bar would be enough I think

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool mechanic.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess letters are a bit boring, but I like how they present very distinct tiers. Going from a B to an A feels like a substantial achievement. A slightly-increasing flame probably wouldn't be as satisfying, unless it also had very distinct colors and/or very distinct animations for the different grades.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need to emphasize the transition to a higher grade. The flame idea is nice, especially if it has a burst of flame (maybe behind the letter grade) to draw attention tot he fact the flame is growing. The bar could also get brighter or change color to match the letter. it is worth noting that DMC doesn't really display the decrease in grade. You can only go up, from a visual standpoint. Also, most people playing won't be able to look at the bar for more than a split second to see where they stand, so unless you are trying to make this for spectators, at the very least it should be easy to read in an instant.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chrilley, you should put the rank on the die ennemy. Or on Jarvis maybe... But it is very difficult actually to see this information and play.
    The best for your great Jarvis !

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast