User Tag List

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: 2d Metroidvania Platformer: Jarvis

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chrilley-

To help us come up with names could you give us the story of jarvis,what happens,the locations,the villain,so on.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really enjoying what I'm seeing from this project! I can't wait to see more!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I mostly linked that out of the crazy coincidence that someone actually got hit by a cease and desist letter for Jarvis/Iron Man IP from the very company that I am trying to avoid =P
    Yeah sorry, the topic was intriguing and I was curious to analyze that message
    ...also I have not very much experience on the matter btw and it's just to make some talk...

Indeed they also say "change the name",
    but my point would be that they wouldn't have said it if it was "just" the name,
    it's the fact they use a recognizable image of the Iron Man and associate it to the "Jarvis" name.

But of course, I have zero proof of this, I have no lawyer background - and they are indeed a very scary entity to have just a backthought of dealing with

I'm just sorry you have to change it because of something like this (and plus other reasons - of course),
    it's an interesting topic and something we all could have to deal with,
    and I fear this is a difficult thing to "avoid entirely" whatever name you could choose.

...except maybe something like "!£=$TJF))|!?!" or "£QK!^^^^",
    but this would be pretty hard to search for players

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It would definitely be interesting to see what else that they had that set the lawyers off. After all there are other businesses named Jarvis out there.

I just think it will most certainly become an issue once there are 2 digital products named the exact same thing which causes confusion and misleading people(which seems to be what the main problem was anyway in that letter).

I've had 2 votes for Lil' Warlock Jarvis over at Tigsource now as well btw. Blaze of Jarvis being in the obvious lead so far though.

Blaze of Jarvis
    Lil' Warlock Jarvis
    Warlock Tale Jarvis
    Wizard Legend Jarvis < removing this one since I noticed there is a game out there already called Wizard of Legend.
    Warlock Hero Jarvis
    Once Upon A Jarvis
    Prophecy of Jarvis

Still wondering if there might be a more clever title to use however...

@Retrobolt: While I don't think I want any of the locations or villains in the title someone pointed out that since the game is so centered around the "sword combat" I could experiment with words like blade, edge, slash, cut, etc.

Though it isn't a sword that Jarvis uses but magic energy that he projects in the shape of a sword(think lightsaber but magic and without a hilt).

It makes sense since Jarvis is all about the magic and the combat aspects. I think that could be useful info to put in a title as well.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though it isn't a sword that Jarvis uses but magic energy that he projects in the shape of a sword(think lightsaber but magic and without a hilt).
    I plan to make a game where the character attacks in the same way.
    But it would't be magic,just pure energy.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For coming up with names, I've found fantasy name generators to be invaluable.

It's obviously scary to have the prospect of a cease and desist in the back of your mind. But there's another, possibly equally important, reason to make sure you have a unique name, and that's searchability. If someone saw your trailer or played your demo at a conference, you want them to be able to type in the name into google or facebook 2 weeks later and find your game immediately. A google search of "jarvis" reveals that your game would have trouble making the top 10 results, since there are many established webpages already using that name, even on top of the Marvel character: car dealerships, wines, designers, etc. Also, if your game makes it big and you ever decide to purchase a trademark on it, a unique name will make it much easier.

So whatever you choose, make sure it produces scarce google results when you search for it. I put a lot of effort into finding a unique name when I named Spryke, and I got 99 problems but searchability ain't one Obviously adding extra words to the title like you're considering will help. But so would replacing "Jarvis" itself with something more unique, even if just a minor variation, like Jaarvis, Yarvis, Jarviss, Jarvvis.

Also, I'd probably stay away from things like "prophecy of..." or "Warlock Tale..." because they sound quite generic, and they'll end up making it harder for people to remember your title amongst all the other similarly-named fantasy games.

As an exercise, maybe try adding interesting verbs or adjectives to "Jarvis", rather than just nouns, as you've been doing. Verbs and adjectives tend to evoke more emotion in people, and verbs generally carry more energy. You might end up with something quite interesting and unique.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    By adjectives, do you mean in similar fashion to how some comic books does it? Like Amazing Spider-Man, Invincible Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, etc.?

At one point I did give that a go but there was really nothing I could come up with that would work. The best one I had was "Magnificent Jarvis" and even that one is rather meh. Also while I think "Jarvis" should be an element of the title I don't think it should be the "main focus" (if that makes any sense!).

I did stumble upon and use that fantasy generator page for some area names with some success btw

I'm not too worried about google search results though as long as whatever words I use besides "Jarvis" isn't super common. Like "That Guy Jarvis" will most likely not work as well as "Magician Jarvis" would. (Currently you'll need to type "jarvis game" for my game to hit the top spots, not bad but not optimal either I admit!)

Someone pointed out that "Blaze" is currently a popular stoner term(420 blaze it? I don't get it). So I might want to stay clear from that one. Yay.

Names & Titles really drives me insane. Can't we all just refer to games by a numerical ID number? I'll be 000-000-000-001.

Update: Knock back Fun & New Enemy
    A bit risky at this stage of development but I am experimenting with some knock back to the enemies when getting hit.

You can now set them up for follow-up attacks as they helplessly waddle about in mid-air.

In the spirit of Halloween here's a new enemy: Wackolantern

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knockback looks cool, but the air juggling from the flame pillars looks a bit stiff. The nice thing about knockback as a designer is that now you have a reason to move during combat instead of simply standing still and whacking away at a tougher foe. And it give a nice feeling of "weak" vs "strong" when you encounter something.

FYI "Blaze" is also a kids show on Nickelodeon (Blaze and the Monster Machines) which is becoming very popular. The stoner term has been around for decades, and it isn't the definition most people go to when they hear the word.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deciding names for games can be a difficult thing, and sometimes, even big companies change them.

For example, UFO: Enemy Unknown was called X-Com: UFO Defense in America, and it was the American name of X-Com, rather than the European (and, from my understanding, the original) UFO name, that stuck for later games in the series.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think X-COM is ultimately the better title compared to UFO which sounds rather generic.

@mobichan:

It's most likely due to that the knockback effect resets every time they're hit so they end up rising at a fixed speed because the fire constantly harms them. I am not sure if I like it or not though! Not sure why but somehow I find it a bit dramatic how they are "pushed" rather than sent flying but I see your point that it feels stiff. Something to play around with...

I should probably make the knockback effects different depending on the attacks though.

Regular slashes would knock them a bit while an uppercut could launch them into the air then if you follow up with a spin slash it'll keep them hanging there and finally the downward strike sends them crashing down.

I wonder if I should go for embedded detectors or just have a set of actives that I can re-use with foreach loops on each enemy. Not sure which would be faster but having to save and load animation states would be neat to skip on. That means I can use those alterable values/strings for other things too.

I've sort of opened pandoras box here. On one hand I really want this kind of stuff in the game, on the other hand this will be quite a "set back" for my schedule. The feature creep is a dangerous and tempting mistress.

And based on what you mentioned perhaps I shouldn't axe off "Blaze" just yet!

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast