User Tag List

Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: 2d Metroidvania Platformer: Jarvis

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chrilley,your recording at 24fps right?

Also I'd like to do freelancing and commissions to pay bills too,so do you have any advice on what I should do and where to go.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Volnaiskra
    I believe you need to go to your local court house and register Volnaiskra as a company then make a bank account using it.

There are pros and cons to this.
    Pros-
    1. If your game has a bug that makes peoples computer's explode,they can't sue you,only your company.So any assets (car,house,etc) you own will be safe.

Cons-
    1. Not 100% sure,but you may have to pay extra taxes and fees and stuff.I know you have to pay $25-$40 to register as a company at the court house.

2. People will recognize your company,but not you.No gamer,no matter how hardcore will be able to name a single developer from shovel knight, no man's sky, cuphead or journey,but everyone knows scott cawthon and toby fox.Mainly because they use there names as their company and plaster it throughout there games.Title,Beginning of the game,end of the game,credits.
    Their names get stuck in your head and you remember them and since people like the games they make,by connection people like them.
    A company is just a image,a name is a person.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, not sure I agree about that last one. I think it depends on your personality and how your mind works. Maybe you're an extrovert and/or are good at remembering names at people's parties, but many people, like me, are not. Personally, I remember company names way easier than people's names.

For example, I have no idea who Scott Cawthon or Toby Fox are, but I knew without checking that two of those games you mentioned were made by Hello Games and thatgamecompany. I can probably list 50 game dev companies if you pressed me, but could probably only list 8-9 developers by name, and those would mainly be the ultra famous ones like Peter Molyneux or Notch. Even the name of the guy who made Bioshock escapes me this very second, although I have no trouble recollecting that his company was called Irrational Games.....it just came to me....Kevin Levine...but it was much harder.....Ah...Just realised it was Ken Levine, not Kevin......I'm not making this up, I'm just typing as I go

Besides, on the offchance that my game becomes huge, I don't necessarily want to have a name that everyone remembers. When I think of fame in the game industry, I think of people like Phil Fish or Anita Sarkeesian who are such easy targets for irrational hate mobs partly because everyone knows their name. I can barely think of anything worse than ending up like them.

Anyway, I don't think the name of a game's developer is that important. It's the game name that's important. That's what people search for, talk about, and remember. If they love your game, they'll likely remember the developer's name if they see it again, but ultimately they don't care about you or your company, they care about themselves and their experience with the game.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrobolt View Post
    @Volnaiskra
    2. People will recognize your company,but not you.No gamer,no matter how hardcore will be able to name a single developer from shovel knight, no man's sky, cuphead or journey,but everyone knows scott cawthon and toby fox.
    I'm pretty sure everybody knows that Sean Murray is the main guy behind No Man's Sky. Maybe if he didn't promise the world and outright LIE to everybody about what was and what wasn't in his game, though.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrilley View Post
    @Retrobolt: I record with Fraps and then I edit + export gifs using VirtualDub.

@Volnaiskra: Thanks for the heads-up on the enemy color, I'll take a look at it. It is one of those things I struggle with. Keeping a good balance of foreground, background in terms of values, color and saturation is tricky thing for me. They do stick out more in the forest area though and I am currently considering dropping them from castle environment completely... Not because of the blending-thing - I just want something more fitting the spooky/undead castle theme instead of blobby slime :P

I love Devil May Cry and it does indeed have a ton of neat things that I can borrow

I am full-time indie but not full-time Jarvis, gotta get that rent paid somehow so freelancing takes up a good chunk of time :P

Update:
    Not much that I can really show image-wise but one of the big things is that I've finally started tampering with Steam and uploading builds. I got nothing nice to say about their overly complicated system thus far but hopefully I get used to it...</my opinion>

It's nice to have that agreement signed and done though. Now to finish this thing.

I hate text-only updates. Have a gif of Jarvis paving the way for Santa's sleigh:

(Disclaimer: It took me about 7-8 times to record this without getting hit by the enemies. Don't play this recklessly kids)
    Hey Chrilley, weird question but is there any chance you need people to help test things out or provide feedback for Jarvis?
    I'd love to be a part of this if possible.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Retrobolt: I actually record with 60 fps since Fraps messes Fusion 2.5 up if I lock the FPS lower than 60 on recording. Instead I decimate the frames by 2 or 3 within VirtualDub to keep those gifs reasonably sized.

Freelance-Comission; When you get that first gig make sure you do a good enough job that they either want to hire you again or at least throw your name around within their networks. For me that has been the easiest way to get new work thus far.

@Volnaiskra:
    Yeah - I've managed to make a private branch and launch build from Steam at least, I have yet to tinker with achievements though. The Steam agreement isn't so bad to go through(20 minutes for me I think?). I had to apply for some extra stuff too since I am not US citizen but that was a breeze as well. I actually have more issue with their overly complicated pipeline for uploading builds really.

Name: On my Steam account it says chrilley but I used my full name for all the paperwork and it is in the game too but at the same time I also use chrilley though as a logo. It's more like a nickname thing rather than a company for me to be honest.

I'll still just try my best to not start any controversies! Though I doubt my reach will earn me more than just a couple of hate mails.

edit: Hi Del_Duio! I am not sure yet to be honest. I will be shouting out here, on twitter, facebook and on tigsource if I do though! It won't be a secret when it happens.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'll still pay for it too, just FYI. I'm not trying to be a freeloader

EDIT: I think you're going to make a ****LOAD of money on this through Steam. There are many many other games that do well there that aren't half as good as what this appears to be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chrilley-
    Do you have any advice/examples/videos/threads you can point me to when it comes to making level editors.Yours is the most amazing I've seen and I've made it a requirement of mine to learn how to make one like it for my games.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Del_Duio: I am not sure if I'll be making much money on this but I can dream

@Retrobolt: I don't know of any advanced editor examples sadly. I do remember there being some separate examples of tile sets, object layering, collision masks, etc. out there but that was many years ago I stumbled upon those.

There are some simple editor examples though like this one: http://www.castles-of-britain.com/le...torexample.mfa that could get you started.
    A couple of tips though:
    - Tilesets in Fusion editors are usually just an Active Picture Object using the "Create Backdrop" action which lets you pick a square from an image to paste somewhere else in the frame as a new backdrop.

- Then I use Fusion's built-in layer system to put the backdrops on. Basically I move the Active Picture Object to the layer that I want the backdrop to be created on("Order" > "Move To Layer").

If I ever have time again I'd like to put together some advanced example based on my editors(with some much needed cleaned up events...).

Danny was working on something similar a while ago that looked interesting though. Perhaps he got some update coming up soon?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chrilley,I already made one with what you told me.Just one last thing,how did you make a selector for the active picture so you can click and choose what tile you want?

Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast