User Tag List

Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: 2d Metroidvania Platformer: Jarvis

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chrilley, I want to give this a go but lots of times my games seem to run slow on some machines once they get complicated. Do you notice any performance issues with Jarvis with and without all the particles?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Mobichan: Thanks, very cool example! The way I figure it kind of works like a race car movement with a "pre-programmed steering wheel". I'll see what I can come up with using this. I'll probably have to figure out a way to make some mini editor where I can pick spots and somehow "reverse calculate" the angle/speed to generate the List entries. Typing out every single turn proved a bit hard to get the path I'm looking for... Trial and error style.

@Del_Duio: I think it's within the Physics Engine object where you can do most optimizing by playing around with the parameters. Turning of Collision is one thing to try since that gets expensive real fast. It's also good to not get too crazy with physics. Besides the main menu and the snowflakes/leaves in the winter themed area I don't think I have anywhere else where it's being used.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are exactly right about what my example does. It is basically a race car that needs steering instructions. The advantage of that is that the curvature of the object's movement will always be smooth. Here is a new example that includes 3 point quadratic spline movement. You feed it mid(x,y) and end(x,y) coordinates and it will move on a curve between them. The downside is that you need to design the curves to smoothly flow into each other (as you will see in my example). Also, Quadratic splines exist inside the 3 points that make them up, so the mid point is not on the path the object travels. It influences the shape of the curve. Both methods require some trial and error, but at least they appear smoother. The other alternative I can think of would be to manipulate sin and cos values back and forth to give you a random sort of wobbling effect.
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks cool! I'm absolute garbage at math but it appears to be some kind of twist on bezier curves?

Coincidentally me and Bartek was tearing our hair out yesterday trying to get a good projectile shot working using a bezier curve. I almost had something that worked okay'ish but I couldn't figure out a way to make the projectile speed constant. The formula I looked at handles each step as a percentage so the long shots traveled much faster than short range ones...

Anyway! I did play around a bit with your example and managed to make a very crude editor where I could place and edit multiple mid/end points. I see what you mean with getting smooth linking between the end points though! It looks like the ball here also moves at a percentage so short distances will take longer than reaching the points furthest away.

I noticed that the 1st point is only used once so when the ball reached the end of the list it loops back to the second point and skipping the first list entry. Is that by design or a bug? It could actually be a cool thing, like the comet would enter the screen from a corner, do its entire path cycle and then when it loops around it could go directly to line 6 or something!

Though I'll have to try not get too caught up in the comet movement, there is so much to do still and so very little time left... :P

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will move in percentages along BÚziers curves, but that could be good as it adds some variation to the speed. If it must be a constant speed I would use my first example. Or you could possibly determine the rough distance between curve points and set the deltaT based on that. Not sure the proper equation though, sorry.

As for the list looping, I didnĺt realize the bug. It is simple enough to change the code that resets the list index bar, but... happy accidents are cool too.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There have been so many of those that at this point I might as well add "Happy accidents" to the credits.

Time for a bit of an update of what I've been up to otherwise:

I've been working a bit on the ruins tileset hoping that new vegetation can add some much needed variation:

The grass is on their own layer above the blocks so I can easily put them on any tile that I want(saving a ton of space on the tileset). If I have time I'd like to look into putting in some waterfalls too, that'd be sweet! Also the far background is terrible and will be changed.

Also experimenting with dust trail effect:

The enemy getting stuck on the ceiling is a bug I've been working on. They really love to phase through obstacles if you slap them hard enough.

And then this nightmare:

I can't tell you how many times I've locked myself out of the game by accidentally binding the keys in a silly manner while testing. Then trying to combat that by having a default set of keys that always work in menus. Of course that causes "double presses" if you happen to bind your keys to the default set. Still working on that one...

It also turns out Control X hates non-US keyboards so I'll have to make my own little table for translating keycodes to key names, so if you hit ┼, ─, Í you'll get the key names for whatever is there on US keyboards instead of Control X's "none". On the upside I can then rename the Up, Down, Left, Right to Up Arrow, Down Arrow, etc. so it doesn't confuse people... Maybe I can even add localization support to them!

Also some of the "action names" up there are not quite final either.

Then comes binding the controllers... Oh boy...

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything looks great, i love the grass

Keyboards can be a pain, i released a small html5 game and an user on itch.io sent me a message saying german keyboards have a reversed x and y button location, so if you hardcode any keys certain keyboards might mess up.. Great fun!

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This new menu is super-cool. No clue how you did it, but its great. To prevent double click on same keys in menu, I would set string instead of direct key as condition.
    Binding controller is exclusive feature I think I will just make some pre-set layouts. A, B, C, D....

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that grass looks awesome however if it's to go on Ruin levels should you make it a bit more dead / brown?

Regardless, it looks great.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys!

@zip2kx: Oh that complicates it quite a bit! At least it would definitely annoy me if I press X and the game shows "Z"...

@Rebel: Interesting idea! So you throw all input to a string and then "If string is "Down Arrow" do this..." ?

Del_Duio: If I can get that layer to change hue like the other layers it is possible that I can have more some more variation of vegetation color! Ideally I'd like to have dead grass at the entry(closest to the cold climate of the forest) and then deeper down near flowing water and such there'd be that bright green type of vegetation instead.

Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast