User Tag List

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Mega Best Cat Adventures

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The colours melt my brain! Really trippy aesthetics there! Very different from the norm and original, any ETA on a demo?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Akiat, I'm thinking about publicly sharing an alpha perhaps within the month - it's already prepared but very rough around the edges

Update 003:

Spent a little time the other day finishing the function that lets you zoom in and out of the drawing for easier editing.
    Whilst doing this I also added a nicer grid overlay, this stays at 1 physical pixel at all times, I think that it is much easier to read and use.

Scaling

I also implemented functionality to work with canvases of any dimension, but I've not yet added an interface for changing it – I intend to just let the user pick this when they start their drawing, and for the time being I've restricted it to sizes between 8x8 pixels and 64x64 pixels.

Now that this is all done I can build the routines that save and load images! This should include the framework for the animation system.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update 004:

Two updates in one day! I decided to try out a small idea I had to improve something that was in the back of my mind for a while. As shown below, because the simple enemy types always ran straight towards the player, they could easily be shepherded into a very tight group – and eventually all overlap completely.

Enemies could easily be manipulated

Implementing path finding or another type of collision/overlap check would too expensive given the number of enemies I want to have on screen, so I tested the simple idea of giving a random amount of variance to the direction that the enemy looked towards. I am pleased with the result – especially as I have decreased the frequency of the direction check so I should have a small performance increase too! Previously every enemy would update to look at the player every single frame, and with this new method I have pushed this to every quarter second. If I stagger the checks then this should be great.

Random variance in the enemy direction (+/-33 degrees)

I'm pleased with the look of this as it keeps large groups of enemies looking like an intimidating swarm!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update 005:

It's been a little while since I posted any updates; life has been fairly busy and I've not given my project as much time as I would have liked. I have made some good progress with my tiled image creator, I've nailed the importing routine, and set up a nice panel which allows you to easily change between frames of the animation. The animation also previews in the same panel, looping continuously, currently at 5FPS.

Loading a selection of images, and the live animation preview

You can see in the GIF that once the images are loaded, the changes get updated in near-realtime in the animation and preview panel. The images auto-save every second, something I decided to implement after noticing dotpict does a similar thing; it is nice to know that my drawings will be safe.
    Now that I've sorted out a lot of the loading/saving issues, and animation preview I can bulk up the functionality of the actual tools and push this mini-project closer to being completed.

---

Just for fun, here is a screenshot of a barbeque and some sausages that I drew on my commute on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to setting up the barbecue as a sausage spewing mini-boss!

BBQ and a selection of sausages

Next up:
    - Adding pencil sizes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update 006:

Quick update today, added variable pen sizes to the tiled image utility program – and an outline that moves to show you where the pixel will be drawn. You can hopefully see in the GIF that the red outline snaps to the pixel grid of the drawn image.

Making different size marks

Maybe soon I'll get back to making the actual game! This is a fun diversion, but I can't forget it's not my actual project!

The other tools that I'm considering adding are:
    - Selection tool, allowing you to move a portion of the image and copy/paste it
    - Undo button (!)
    - Straight line tool
    - Spray can/dithering tool
    - Round pen tool

If anyone has any other ideas that would be really interesting to hear!

In any case, I'd like to keep the scope fairly small, and this is already getting quite feature rich for a side project!

Not sure what's happened to my GIF here, it seems to have grey marks on it now that I've uploaded it to my server. If anyone has any ideas that would be great!

Next up:
    - Straight line tool (maybe)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Wednesday commute is starting to become a little productive! Here are some more pixel-y barbecue foodstuffs that I drew on the way to London:

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm impressed with the effort you're putting into the tools to help you make the game, but I'm also looking forward to seeing more updates about the game itself because the gameplay looks interesting too. What are you making the tile editor in?

(btw, thanks for recommending Dotpict - it's great!)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks nim, and that's cool you find dotpict useful too, it's a great little app!

Yeah, I'm going to keep the scope as limited as possible with this mini project, I think I might not do the spray/dither tool to try and help wrap things up faster and get back to work on the game. It's nice to feel like I can carry this through to completion, as the game itself is a much larger project.

I've been using Fusion 2.5 to make this image editor too- the surface object for all of the drawing actions, and each tool window is a sub application.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance you will release the tile editor? I am honestly 1000x more interested in that. :3 It is amazing how such a tool doesn't really exist in a simple form.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mobichan, Krita (https://krita.org/) is a freeware digital painting and graphics editor which offers this feature: Wrap around tool
    https://youtu.be/9ICGks0-InQ?t=41s

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast