User Tag List

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Mega Best Cat Adventures

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ faber: Thanks. I will check it out. Hopefully it has a pencil tool, since I would use it for pixel art.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobichan View Post
    Any chance you will release the tile editor? I am honestly 1000x more interested in that. :3 It is amazing how such a tool doesn't really exist in a simple form.

Thanks! Yes, I am planning to make it publicly available through the Clickstore by the end of the month, hopefully then other people can benefit from it too.

Let me know if there's any functionality that you think would be useful to be included!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update 007:

Today's update is just to show off the next step towards feature-completeness in the tiled image app – I've added a straight line mode. It's a little janky on pens that have been set as thicker than 1px; but as you can see it works!

Straight lines

So to update the checklist from before:
    - Selection tool, allowing you to move a portion of the image and copy/paste it
    - Undo button (!)
    - Straight line tool DONE!
    - Spray can/dithering tool NOPE
    - Round pen tool NOPE

I've decided to ignore the spray/dither tool for now, and also the round pen tool so I can get this mini-project wrapped up faster!

Next up:
    - Finishing the line tool
    - Selection/copy/paste

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be nice if the SHIFT key could constrain the line tool to 15 degree increments. or at least 45 degrees for diagonal and straight lines. It is a shame you might not make round brushes. I would not use anything anti-aliased, but having a small selection of rounded boxes is always handy, especially at the 64x64 tile size. Is there a plan for an elipse and rectangle tool?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your idea to improve the line tool by snapping it to 15 degree increments with SHIFT is great - I'm going to give it a go this afternoon.

I'm not currently planning to implement a ellipse or rectangle tool, but I can see they would be useful, so I'll think about it. If I was, I would probably implement it as a line - as you can fill the inside with the bucket tool, what do you think?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Line should be enough for shapes. If you need a tester please PM me. It is much easier to give suggestions when using a tool.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know when it is ready!

I've implemented your suggestion of SHIFT clicking to snap to 22.5 degree increments - it was a good idea, thanks. It was slightly more complicated than I was expecting, and there are a couple of kinks to iron out, but I've got it in.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update 008:

There's too much side project going on here and not enough game-making! Yesterday I decided to spend a little time creating a new mini-boss.

So I obviously started by drawing up a barbecue.

Closed, and open

I first draw the bbq in it's two key states, closed and open. I prefer drawing everything by hand, sometimes overuse of straight-line tools or elipse tools makes everything look overly geometric to me.
    Then I draw every frame in-between these two key frames, in this case by cutting off the top half of the closed barbeque, and scaling it to get a rough shape, and drawing over it by hand.

Eventually, I end up with this!

Animated!

It looks slightly imperfect, but it will be moving around, chucking stuff about, and there will be a smoke particle effect, so hopefully any weirdness won't be noticed by the player.

Next step: spawning more enemies! The barbecue is a mini-boss, and as such it needs to be dangerous. What better way to be dangerous than spewing out piles of delicious cooked food!

Skewers, for example

To top things off, let's add a tasty particle effect – a tiny sprite, randomly scaled and placed across the grill, spawned repeatedly for the first half of the opening animation. The sprite gets larger and fainter as it moves up the screen, until it is fully transparent, then it is destroyed.

Smoke!

I'm quite pleased with it for the amount of time I put in, approximately 3-4 hours work. The next step is giving the barbeque a movement routine, a second movement for the mobs it generates - these will land on the floor, and then chase you like other mobs. Finally I'll hook everything up into the wave-generator. That should take hopefully around 1 more hour.

I'll also add in a few more mob varieties that can be spawned by this boss.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update 009:

Over the last week I made some time to do a few things that I'd been hoping to do for a while. First of all, I've set up an IndieDB page, and a Twitter.

These are both new territories for me, but I'm aiming to keep both updated with fun images and information on what I'm up to.

The next thing I managed to tick off my list was the implementation of my scenery system. The bones are there now – I've built a simple addition to my maze data structure to add random scenery to each room! Scenery elements get generated on the fly as you first visit each room, and their type and position get saved too. These then appear with a simple fade-in; this to improve a pop-up effect I noticed on objects that were taller than each room boundary (and would be visible from the room above). They also have a quick fade out for when you leave the room too, before they are destroyed. Check it out below!

Background props, remembered across rooms

I've only got a few scenery props so far, but I'm aiming to get lots of different ones for each themed area. I hope this will give each play-through of the game a LOT more character!

Thanks for reading!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update 010:

I took a little time out on Sunday to go to a coffee shop, armed with a new sketchpad and pens - and had a relaxing couple of hours reading a magazine and drawing.

I don't often take time to do things like that; it's difficult to give yourself a break or take a step back when you feel there is so much to do, but it's often worth it.

After a few sketches I had a little inspiration, and I had a couple of ideas down on paper that I liked. I've shared one of the sketches below - it might not look like much but it was the genesis of a nice little idea I think. I then spent a bit of time yesterday I realising some of it in-game. You can see that my sketches are pretty loose, as a sole dev it's just about exploring my own ideas, and not getting quality artwork – these are just triggers for my imagination.

A quick sketch

On a bit of an impulse, I've decided to add a fun dialogue system where characters from the game can pop-up and chat to you. Currently this is just to contribute to the 'atmosphere', but who knows where it may go.

I love the compliments-deer, so he is a natural candidate for quality interruptions.

After a quick session today, I got the basics down!

First go!

I quite liked it, but felt it looked a little static and rigid... let's add some more fluidity..

This is better!

So, now I've built a neat little animation that I can plug some text events into. Expect to see this in-game in some way – At the moment, I've not yet decided how – but I think it looks fun!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast