User Tag List

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Mega Best Cat Adventures

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really loving the look of that dialogue box.

This game is truly the definition of psychedelic.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the nice comments!

Update 011:

In the last week I continued with two of the tasks I began from previous updates.

I picked up from the engine work I had done to generate scenery for each room in update 009 and implemented a few new types of prop objects! Here are a few examples:

Here are some of the 'Forest' themed props

I've created a few new props for two areas - both the 'forest' scene which currently is the starting area and, uh, a load of lollies for some reason. These are an important part of giving each playthrough it's own character, as each maze in every playthrough will place these in different combinations and positions.

Here they are in action!

HNNGNGNNG!
    (Click for larger version - 10MB)

I'd like to animate some of these obstacles, for example it would be really satisfying to see the lollies melt with an offset on each of their animations, and I'm also considering scaling and flipping them to add some more variance.

The second task I worked on was completing the mini-boss mob spawn routine from update 008 for the barbecue! The generated enemies now appear with a nice spinning animation, land on the ground and then chase you!

Tasty!

As you can see, I also added some more types of food to the barbecue mob generator routine: burgers, corn-on-the-cob, and sausages!

Next up will be deciding on how I would like the barbecue to move around - or even if it does at all! Would love to hear any suggestions anyone has!

Thanks for reading!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update 012

For the last couple of months I've been working behind the scenes on a new website for SUPER MEGA BEST CAT ADVENTURES, but after getting a little inspiration from another developer I decided to try out a few custom fade effects.

I saw a tweet from another F2.5 user, which displayed a great looking transition which I wanted to try out myself as it instantly game me some other ideas.

Craig Dennis (@_Zephni)
    10:11AM - October 7, 2015
    https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CQtBNkkUYAA6n48.mp4
    New fancy fade example easily rolled out to all Clickteam Fusion projects!
    The effect consists of a small animated tile that is generated in a grid across the screen, and given an offset to start the animation. The offset increases in both the X and Y axis to give a 'sliding-fade' effect. I'm going to randomise the direction of these offsets, as I'm always looking to put in as much variety as possible.

My implementation of @_Zephni's effect

I think this looks pretty smooth, and gives a bit more flair to when the gameplay is resumed. I can imagine effects such as this being used to restart the gameplay after a death, or at the start of a new level, for example.

Thinking about what other transition implementations I could try to give more character to the scene, I started on a twisting version, where each black tile on the grid would disappear one segment at a time, so that the action then 'windmills' into view.

An image to explain 'windmilling', for lack of a better phrase

After a little effort, a spinning effect was made, this time I didn't give an offset to each 32px square, because they didn't match up well

Spinning effect

Because this effect clearly is defined by the boundaries of the tiled animation, it looks pretty blocky to me and not as smooth as the first example. I thought about ways to make the effect appear to be a little more subtle - the best ways to blur the lines of tiled objects is usually to make the image bleed over onto other sides of itself.

I wanted the boundary between each animation tile to look less obvious, so made a new simi-circular mask over the top to give it a softer edge, and hopefully this looks more like a series of scales or villi.

When the animation is playing, the top left and right are now continuations of the bottom left and right segments.

When tiled, you can see how the effect will work more clearly, and how the nature of the tiling is less obvious - giving a more natural look

Finally, we can apply what we have learned to the engine and see what it looks like!

Final implementation

Much better! The ingame version is even better as the animation is far smoother. I've added extra frames of animation as half-segments compared to the example shown above.

So once again thanks to @_Zephni for the inspiration, it's worth spending a little time on small details like these to make the game feel more rounded. I've still got a few more things I'd like to experiment with, which I'm looking forward to trying out and sharing.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, nice to see an update on Best Cat! I really like your style.

Nice transitions! I like what you've done to remove the tiled look, it makes a difference! I did like the gradual reveal from the side as in the first transition though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nim!

You know what - I like that gradual reveal too. I tried it before it was on the earlier version, when it still looked very tiled and I didn't like it. Perhaps it will look better now though - next time I'm working on the game I'll try it out and post the results here!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried out Nim's suggestion - here's a quick GIF of the previous animation with a top-left to bottom-right offset.

I think you were right! It does look a lot better. There are a couple of small things that bug me with it that I'm considering improving - the animation doesn't quite sync as it used to, as you can see in these screenshots below.

You can see that the animation doesn't quite line up in the corners when it's paused. I'm considering spending some time thinking about how to sort it out, but it could be that it's so minor it isn't worth it! What do people think - is this something that is noticeable when you watch the GIF above?
    Images attachées Images attachées

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made a brand new bouncy jump animation today, I'm pleased with how fluid this looks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I experimented today with some new ways of creating some psychedelic imagery, which led to making this fun new splash screen!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah, that looks awesome! I really can't wait for the colourful assault my brain is going to get from this haha.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Akiat! Of course, it looks a whole lot better with one little tweak!

Pro tip for Indies #1: Use confetti to add a touch of class to your videogame splash screen!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast