User Tag List

Thread: Alterable string expression to complex

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alterable string expression to complex

Hi,
    Here is some background: I am working on an application that will allow for my users to make quiz questions and answers. Since the users will be making the content, I do not know how long the questions or answers will be. My plan was to store the content in a database, retrieve it with the GET object and then use the string parser to sort the content and store them in strings. I would do this by assigning an alterable string to each string object.

Here is the problem: Alterable strings seem to have a limit on how long they can be. When I input a short paragraph length string, I get the following error:
    "Expression too complex." Is there a way around this? I imagine most of the content users upload won't be too long, but I imagine some will. It only allows for a few lines of text currently (maybe 3 or so).

Any thoughts on this would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Brett

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There is a limit to the length of expressions in the expression editor, you can set strings via properties instead (using the property panel). I don't think the strings themselves have a limit, so if necessary you could set a string, then set it to itself plus more text...

You won't run into this issue if you are setting the string from the contents of an edit box, or ini file, for example.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Simon,
    Thanks for the reply. The problem is that the strings will be dynamic but the user won't input them in my application (so I don't think I can use an edit box). Instead the strings will come from a MySQL database. So I need the strings to be adjustable based off of the text received from the database. For this reason, I don't think I could use the properties panel either. I was considering trying to use the string parser object and just use many string parser objects to store individual strings. Is this a bad idea? Or should I just use one string parser and get the text from it using the string tokenizing function. I suppose I could also set different edit box texts to the different questions from the database using the "list get at" function of the string parser. Would any of these methods be preferable in terms of performance? I'm thinking I'll have up to 300 items (up to 50 questions with 5 answer options each). Thanks for you help,
    Brett

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Snail,
    I'm not too savvy with loops so I'll have to look into this. The key is that I'll be importing potentially quite a lot of text with the GET object and I want to store this so that I can put each question and answer into its own Active System Box as I progress through the questions. I am thinking my best bet might be to just use one String Parser object and set each active system box to the appropriate string using the "list get as" function and delimiters. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks,
    Brett

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Snail,
    I think I am planning to just use the String Parser and the "listgetat" function to get the appropriate text. I am using a counter to get the appropriate element from the string parser. I will need to look into loops more though. Thanks,
    Brett