User Tag List

Thread: Incredible 3D graph for help with pseudo 3d games

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incredible 3D graph for help with pseudo 3d games

If you want to make a game in Fusion, everyone knows that it has to be 2d (for the most part, but ray-caster is great). While it's possible to get 3D in your games, it'll take a lot of effort and calculations. I recently found this graph on the Desmos website and thought it was incredibly helpful with figuring out how to create calculations for 3D. I'm sure that many people here will find it helpful too.

Graph: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/vymzvpqp3k

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice find! This is way out of my league, though
    Have you been able to recreate that thing in Fusion? Perhaps you could make a tutorial?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Popcorn if its out of your league I think that only MuddyMole or SolarB could handle it.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
    Nice find! This is way out of my league, though
    Have you been able to recreate that thing in Fusion? Perhaps you could make a tutorial?
    I haven't had the time to attempt it yet, been busy for a while. I am going to try it a bit in the future, though.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a bit of experimentation with 3D rotations in MMF2 (and Javascript/HTML5 as well) a while back, for my voxel engine:

It turned out to be way, way too slow to be usable in an actual game, so I didn't pursue it any further.
    However, that was rotating a huge number of points per frame (the Hellcat uses 3600+ voxels; the Liberator is probably over 10,000) - by comparison, a graph like that is very simple and shouldn't be a problem at all.
    The maths really isn't as scary as your example makes it look (there are tons of good online references explaining this kind of stuff). Assuming you were going to use a Surface object to display the chart (that's what I'd do), the main problem is that you can't draw curves or nice smooth, anti-aliased lines.
    I'm not sure how useful it would be though (especially considering the amount of effort required)...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I think leave 3D to a dedicated 3D engine and 2D to MMF. It doesn't stop you from playing with 3d objects but you need to process 3d information much faster than Fusion currently does. I have had to turn to Unity for anything 3D and I hate having to re-learn c# as well as typing lines of code to instruct objects to behave.