User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: There is a fix for the Steam Overlay issue?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a fix for the Steam Overlay issue?

I have found some threads about the Steam overlay + UltimateFullscreen that was causing trouble to some developers, but those threads don't have a solution for this.
    We have a game soon to be released on Steam, and we are using Fusion and a custom CRT shader for the game.
    Our last game "Oniken" was supposed to be released with this shader effect, but we couldn't fix this issue earlier and then Oniken was released without the CRT shader.

Now we need to release this new game with the shader. Everything is fine when you test the game .EXE standalone, but when we launch the game trough Steam, the overlay shows up, and quickly after the first frame when our team logo appears and the frame changes, the screen freezes and the game continue to run in background (you can hear the sounds and even play the game, but with the screen frozen at the first frame).

There is a fix for this? I was suspecting it was Ultimate Fullscreen object, but we had removed it completely and the problem still persists...

Our shader in action: http://imgur.com/4z6hilF

Thanks.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Keyo!

I'm not sure about this, but if it's Steam overlay causing this problem you could write in Steam Development group and ask Valve to disable Steam overlay for your game.
    At least I've seen some people doing this, so I guess it's possible? Not sure though, just a thought.

Fingers crossed you're able to solve it and good luck with the launch!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks J3sseM!
    Digging into the Steam Dev group, there are some devs that asked for Valve for completely disable the Steam overlay on those games (I'm very sure that one of them was a Fusion game too).
    Looks like Fusion made games don't work well with Steam overlay.
    Sadly I think that this is the way... that means that our game will not have support to Steam Broadcast and Big Picture mode.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall CreatorUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this mean without the shader (on a layer?) the Steam overlay works fine?

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can easily test by building an .exe and going to your Steam library -> add a game -> non-steam game. When you run your game through Steam you can see how the overlay works.
    It should work in real fullscreen, maybe in windowed too? I once tried but can't quite recall. However if you use UFS or maximize and keep the aspect ratio, add the bars, it does not work properly. I think Steam overlay checks the application window for overlay, but the visible area for bindings or something funny.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperMac Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found the fix, we disabled COMPRESS RUNTIME option on our game and it works great now! =)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, that's been the problem the whole time?!?! Wow! Yeah, nobody should use that feature anyways, for several reasons, one of them being that it makes virus scanners go berserk.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fix for what? Crashes?
    I don't think that fixes the overlay problem though. Not for me at least.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that just fixes the crash with the shader afaik. Still a problem where the Steam overlay has the wrong mouse co-ordinates if using Ultimate Fullscreen.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, okay. It wasn't clear from that person's post. Well, I guess we'll just have to wait for a solution or go without either the Steam overlay or the Ultimate Fullscreen object, then, for any of us releasing a game on Steam anytime soon...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast