User Tag List

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Spryke - hardcore new-school platformer

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, thanks for elaborating. That's really great to hear that you liked the movement and the performance was good.

There are a couple of gameplay developments in the works too, but story is my top priority at the moment, because it's something I've neglected for 3 years! Also, I've gotten to the point where I feel I need the story so I can map out the structure of the whole game and start fleshing it out start to finish, rather than just working on disjointed bits. Otherwise I'll just keep refining existing stuff and never finish it!

Actually, my top priority is getting a good build done for PAX, which is in 3 weeks - but after that it'll be story.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took Spryke to PAXaus this weekend, and it went great. Lots of great feedback, lots of people loved the game, and unlike last year there were few criticisms or suggestions for improvement, which suggests that I'm getting things right. We had a speedrunning contest this time, which turned out to be a fantastic idea. It got people really engaged, showed off one of the more addictive and intensely fun sides of Spryke's gameplay, and we even got to see a little speedrunning community form organically, which was really wonderful. I made a short video about the weekend, which you can watch below.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow you really have improved the assets, especially the platforms and such. Great to see you doubled down on the speedrunning aspect. Good job

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the design of this underwater area, great contrasts and very interesting assets. Would love to try it. Your website states no demo planned for now, is this still true?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    wat i found most intriging in the video was not infact the game itself...but the moment at 0:49 wen the pink haired person in the background walks of screen... then a moment later walks back the other way. WHY! i must know!

lookin great tho vol, really polishing those edges

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol. A navigation fail, immortalised on camera

Actually, I'll be releasing a demo (the 5-level speedrun that was played at PAX ) very soon! (a day or three)

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to the game!

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can download Spryke's 5-level Speedrun demo here https://gamejolt.com/games/spryke/189140

You can also watch me doing a speedrun myself, for a total time of 48:30. I could probably shave off enough to get up to 47:59* if I really tried....though I'd have no chance at getting into the top 3 scores at PAX, which were all around 44-45! Seeing people out-perform you in your own game is a surprisingly delightful feeling, actually!

* Fun fact: As I learned recently, the unit of measurement after the colon in 47:59 (59 sixtieths of a second) is actually called a "jiffy"

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey buddy, finally found some some time to play trough the new demo, here is my feedback

Performance: System: i3, 3,2 GHz, integrated graphics, Win 10, SSD
    Level 1 +2 around 20 FPS, Level 3+4 around 30-40 FPS.
    Performance has really improved a lot since the KS build and I found the game playable at 20 FPS, which is really good. I remember running the spaceport level from an earlier build of Spryke on an i7 with dedicated graphics last year with about 35 FPS, pretty sure my i7 could handle the game without problems now, will test later.
    Loading times between levels were very good on my system just 3-5 seconds (probably the SSD).

Experience: Spryke controls rock solid and on point. You know my personal opinion on the game is that the amount of detail you put into everything is really impressive, but this detail would be much more appreciated and resonate with the core mechanics if the game was focussed more on exploration/ classic platforming and less on speed/hardcore platforming. IMO Spryke suffers (a bit) from the contratiction of beautiful detail/ambient occlusion vs visual clearity/contrast that is essential for any hardcore platformer. I also would love to see some living enemies to stomp upon.

This game really gives me a Rayman Legends vibe and when it's out I'll surely play it like this, exploring every corner, not matter how the game is meant to be played :P I took some time in every level to just watch the beautiful backgrounds and all the animated stuff that is going on there, like dragons, reflections, etc. This space harbour must have dozens of parallaxing layers, not to mention all the details on the skyscrapers. Also took a minute to jump into the water bubbles over and over again , also sad I could not interact with the other fish. But that's stuff that would make no sense in a hardcore platformer at all anyway. The music is also really great and feels very original and of high quality to me.

Except my personal preference for a slower pace, there's not much to moan about. Found one little bug at least: When Spryke jumps facing left and lands on the ground (with joystick released), she would always auto-turn to the right once the landing animation is finished.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing a major overhaul of Spryke's platform graphics. One of the things I'm doing is changing the perspective a little. Could you please chime in and say which of the 6 options below (if any) looks best to you? The differences are subtle, but they're there. In particular, look for which design clashes the least with the perspective of the background, while not looking too flat and paper-like

Please note that the final graphics won't be this blocky (that's one of the reasons I'm overhauling the platforms - they're going to be much more organic and irregular than previously). But I'm using very blocky shapes in this example so you can see the geometric angles clearly.

Thanks.

@Julian82 : thanks heaps for the feedback!

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast