User Tag List

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Spryke - hardcore new-school platformer

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickarrow View Post
    Maybe you have answered this before, but what program do you use to animate?
    I like all the progress posts you make. Spryke keeps getting better and better. Keep it up!

Thanks @mickarrow . I use Toon Boom Harmony Premium for the animation in Spryke. Below are some snippets of what it looks like (the animation shown is a little rough around the edges, but you get the idea).

Toon Boom Harmony Premium isn't cheap, but I can't recommend it enough. It's got the most intuitive vector tools I've ever seen in any program (I create everything in vector but export into Fusion as raster), and I love how everything is controlled with a node hierarchy. You can see the node view in the 2nd gif. Spryke herself is comprised of 250+ nodes, but that probably looks and sounds more complicated than it is. In reality, it means that you can connect every piece of her in a logical and intuitive way. So, for example, if I move/scale/rotate her eyeball then her iris, pupil, and the little white reflection on her pupil will all automatically move with it...though I can also move any of those elements independently if I wish. So I only need to rig her once, and then I can reuse that rig for any number of different animations.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I checked the link to Toon Boom and although it looks amazing to work with, it is a bit too pricey for me atm :/
    Keep up the excellent work you do!!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just interviewed for the Hype Train podcast by the guys at Ultra Super Mega if anyone's interested.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been overhauling Spryke's platforms this year. A long-standing problem has been that they were too blocky and repetitive, and weren't as pretty as the background graphics. So I'm finally addressing that.

This is an overhaul in the true sense of the word, and goes beyond just the way the platforms look. Months of work has gone into behind-the-scenes stuff, including how the platforms are structurally built, how the level editor and engine handle them, and how Spryke can traverse this newly curvy and slanted terrain. The aesthetic style is still improving but is starting to get to a point where I'm happy with it.

I've also made massive strides in my workflow, across both Photoshop and Fusion. I've taken the time to properly embrace various Photoshop features that I'd previously neglected or not taken full advantage of, like artboards, generator, custom shapes, actions, and the CC libraries. I'm now working way, way smarter and faster in Photoshop than I ever have before. I'm actually quite stunned by how much better my new workflow is - and how inefficient and clunky my workflows were for the previous 15 years! All this new efficiency and project organisation has freed up my headspace to the point where I'm actually capable of making better graphics than before.

My Fusion workflow is much improved too, as the new platform system makes level editing much more straightforward - platforms are much quicker to move around, and there are less Active Objects to update when I make graphical tweaks.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful... the new platforms really makes it a work of art.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work Vol!.. looks a lot more natural..

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm impressed with everything you've achieved in Fusion. I've picked up a few of your items in the clickteam shop (or possibly all of them). Can't wait to see Spryke completed.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting, Vol! That environment does not look tiled at all, I wonder how you tackle this from a level design perspective. Also, good job on your movement engine, handling all those variable surfaces must have been a little nightmare o_O

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlyGoose View Post
    Can't wait to see Spryke completed.
    Not as much as I can't wait!!

@Julian82 : Yes, getting the diagonals working was more than a little nightmare! Though @SolarB ended up helping me a lot. Running on diagonal/curved ground is now flawless, as is sliding on curvy ceilings. There's still a bug or two with sliding down curvy walls, which we're still working on.

Instead of small tiles, the platforms are now comprised of large blocks. These blocks could still be called tiles, but their large size offers much more flexibility. I spent a lot of time looking at Spryke and other games to see what sort of shapes are needed to cover most level design situations. Then I got it down to about 50 or so different blocks, across several pre-determined widths/heights, so that they can connect like Lego. For example, here are all the vertical ones. Doing it this way uses more RAM, but ends up with way fewer objects on-screen than using hundreds of 50x50 tiles everywhere, which was actually a significant resource drain in earlier versions of the engine.

By far the hardest part was getting the platforms to overlap each other correctly. Left to their own devices, you end up with many situations like this (maybe not quite this bad - I exaggerated to make the point clearly). But it's tricky, because sometimes platform A is lower and more westwards than platform B and needs to be placed over it, while at other times A needs to be placed under B - depending on the shape and size of the platforms in question, where the transparent areas are inside the platform graphics, and other factors.

So I spent a huge amount of time programming in a 5-part system that uses a number of heuristic tactics to autocorrect the platforms' order as best as possible. So the above scenario will now end up like below. You can see that there's still one error towards the bottom - so I also had to build in a system that lets me manually correct those errors. But at least I only have to manually correct a few platforms per level now, rather than needing to manually order every single platform every time I tweak a level. The autocorrect takes care of the bulk of the work now.

This whole autocorrect business was not my idea of a good time. Here's all the code I ended up with, just to make the platforms sort of, almost order correctly on their own:

And here's a spreadsheet where I studied various combinations of platforms to try and find the heuristic rules that would predict bad combinations with as few false positives as possible. So, I'd make a test level and run it, write down which platforms didn't overlap correctly and which ones did, then enter in various datapoints for each combination. Then I'd look for things like hmm, when platform A has been placed below platform B and platform A's centre of gravity is at least 760 less than platform B's centre of gravity and A's eastern edge is more than 2000 pixels from B's western edge AND A and B's combined width+height divided by their Y differential plus the difference of their vertical centre of gravity plus 1 is less than 5, then this usually that means that this is combination is ordered correctly, so we should whitelist this combination and not autocorrect it.....Like I said, not my idea of a good time! This sort of thing is not something I had any experience with, so it took a lot of trial and error and exhausting problem-solving to get it working ok

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez Vol just reading about what you've been upto is exhausting..
    Not sure if this youtube video will be helpful but its a pretty good watch..
    Applying 3D Level Design Skills (Sunset Overdrive) to the 2D World of Hyper Light Drifter: https://youtu.be/LFsMenc5Q8I

Also these sonic tutorials by fusion makers https://youtu.be/EGzvrbIEAbM (translate to english on pc in youtube video settings)

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast