User Tag List

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Spryke - hardcore new-school platformer

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This might be due to the retro gamer in me but I've grown to like games where you can see the front(the surface pointing towards the viewer) and top of the "blocks" so 6 and 3 come closest I think.

I am bad at explaining what I mean so here's a Megaman game with the angle that I'm talking about https://i.imgur.com/3yKtn7L.jpg

Basically you can only see 2 sides on that screenshot but it still feels like the ground has "mass", if you know what I mean.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    liking it as "flat on" as possible, i wud say number 6

but 5 looks good also

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5+ DLC
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since a few of them look good, i'll give you my top 3:
    1 = 4
    2 = 3
    3 = 6

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 and 6 look best to me

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 and 6 look best for me too. The game plays in 2D so I prefer the platforms to look 'square-on' (while still maintaining some depth).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the opinions, everyone. Here's Take #2:

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a mix between E and F would be good..
    spryke.jpg

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Vol, is it possible for you to post a plain front view with a more interesting tileset? I’m wondering if this perspective thing really adds to the feel and depth of the overall scene. The advantage of a 100% plain view could actually be that it leaves far more room for imagination of how far the structures reach into the background an how they connect. With this isometric thing you kind of cut the scene at a defined point so the tiles will look patched upon the environment. Some games occlude the scene with another set of parallaxing tiles in the back, but this would create a lot of visual noise which would harm your core mechanics.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @fnkycoldmadeanr : Just to clarify: Do you mean that you prefer the lower 50% of each platform's 'tabletop' to be empty, with objects/creatures placed on (and above) the upper 50%?

Quote Originally Posted by Julian82 View Post
    Hey Vol, is it possible for you to post a plain front view with a more interesting tileset? I’m wondering if this perspective thing really adds to the feel and depth of the overall scene. The advantage of a 100% plain view could actually be that it leaves far more room for imagination of how far the structures reach into the background an how they connect. With this isometric thing you kind of cut the scene at a defined point so the tiles will look patched upon the environment. Some games occlude the scene with another set of parallaxing tiles in the back, but this would create a lot of visual noise which would harm your core mechanics.
    That's a very interesting point about the 'indefinite' connection to the background that a flat platform has. I mocked up a quick example, but I don't think it works particularly well in this case. I think that either way, some near-foreground elements will be needed to better marry the foreground and far-background elements. I think if those are kept neutral and done right, they can actually cut down on visual noise, as my backgrounds tend to be quite busy.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you’re right, that does not work. But I think you’re nailing it down with the foreground and background layers. Had another look at Rayman and they used a rediculous amount of layers to occlude the playfields. Hopefully you’ll find a resources friendly solution to this, sounds like a lot of work

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast