User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Randomly Generated Platformer ala "Spelunky" in MMF2.5?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mr. Newton!

That's actually a great idea! I could past the edge spillers and etc on another layer entirely.
    Thanks a ton guys, now I have a great springboard to actually make some serious headway

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to remember having this discussion with you before...

This is how Spelunky generates levels:
    http://tinysubversions.com/spelunkyGen/

The first part of that is extremely straight-forward. The second part is a bit more complicated, and will require you to build some form of custom editor for designing your rooms. It's not difficult as such - it'll just take a fair bit of time and effort.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sketchy, yes we certainly did I was just asking the general boards for assistance because the last time we spoke you were in the Alps or something crazy and I didn't want to further bother ya'

That link is great, damn I didn't know it was so complicated but I suppose that makes a lot of sense.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, that would be right!
    I'm back now (possibly about to head down to the south of France for the summer though). Still kind of busy with various things though - annoyingly, I just crashed my car into a wall, so that needs sorting next...

Anyway, I don't think it's super-complicated - you just need to make that custom editor so you can design the "room templates".

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so this is a simple example of the first part (figuring out what types of room to put where)...
    http://1drv.ms/1SIQUD3

Next you need a whole bunch of rooms of each type to choose from at random (a room type being defined by the sides from which it can be entered/exited). This is basically identical to loading any other tile-based map (each individual room being a map in itself), apart from the fact that Spelunky randomizes some elements of a room.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great example! Thanks

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And this is an example of loading a room with some random elements:
    http://1drv.ms/1LQY3wu

Note that to save me having to create an editor of any kind, it just uses plain text files instead (if you were going to make an actual game with loads of levels, it would be worth making an editor, as creating maps by hand is pretty slow).

Basically, the way it works is that you have a map:

01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
    01 01 01 01 01 04 01 04 04 01
    01 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 04
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    01 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 03 01
    01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 01
    01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01

...and the numbers in it correspond to lines from a key:

00 00 / blank space
    01 01 / rock
    02 02 / spikes
    03 50%00 50%02 / 50% chance of spikes
    04 50%00 50%01 / 50% chance of rock
    05 3x2 00 04 00 02 02 02 / row of 3 spikes, with a 50% possibility of a platform above the middle one

It's actually not as complicated as it looks, once you figure out what it's doing:

The numbers on the left are just line numbers.
    Everything after a "/" is a comment, and will be ignored.
    A line that has just a single number will always load a map tile of that type.
    A line that has "AA%BB" means there will be a AA% chance of creating a tile according to line BB of the key.
    A line that has "AxB" will create a rectangular block of tiles with width A and height B. The numbers that follow are again references to lines in the key (working left to right and top to bottom).

Keep in mind that these are all *extremely* sensitive to formatting etc - a single space out of place will stop it working, and all numbers *must* be 2 digits long - eg. "01" rather than "1" (I could have used a string tokenizer which would have made it a bit more robust, but chose not to).
    Also, attempting certain dumb things will cause infinite loops which freeze the app (eg. random options with zero probability of occurring).

The nifty thing about this, is that you can nest different elements inside each other. For example, you could have a block that is either a sleeping area or a kitchen - and if it's a sleeping area, you could have an area within, that is either a single or double bed, and an area next to it that may or may not contain a bedside table, and so on...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated version with a little added auto-tiling:
    http://1drv.ms/1HYbeNy

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah no, all these links aren't working for me Sketchy

All I've been able to do so far is get it to randomly fill dirt squares into a room sized 30W x 21H BUT using David N's idea and some random animation direction stuff all the edge fillers w/ grass work PERFECTLY. It's awesome.

Now the main thing is to get it so that my guy doesn't get 'stuck' at the bottom because he can only jump 1 tile high without the super jump boots. Adding ladders is a pain too.

So ah... Yes please can you fix those links sir?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They work, you need to hit the download button up the top of the page. He's just linking to the selected item in the OneDrive folder.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast