User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Randomly Generated Platformer ala "Spelunky" in MMF2.5?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not so much that, it's more to mask all the straight edges of the platform vs. the background. Since my (most?) platform engines use straight edges for collisions and etc I have to keep them looking like a ton of Tetris pieces lol. See what I'm saying? But if you look at Spelunky or many other various platformers, they don't look like a bunch of straight-up rectangles and etc.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I look at Spelunky, I see every tile. It does a horrible job of hiding the grid, but I think that is the style they were going for. As for collision, nearly all platform engines deal with flat surfaces because they are the easiest to handle in code and are the least processor intensive. In fact, most 2D platformers use a collision mask that is separate from the visible objects in the game so that they get reliable collision detection. And to reduce corner cases, as well. Maybe you can give some examples of games (like yours) that do a good job of avoiding the boxy look you are trying to avoid? It would help everyone understand what you are trying to achieve.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an example of a simple room I did for Hasslevania 2.

In the first picture, this is the one I use for the actual collisions for the platform engine. The light blue space is imported as the transparent color.

The second picture is all drawn on a backdrop that goes on a layer underneath the rectangular platforms but makes the whole thing look way less blocky when the game is running.

--

So that's what I mean- Do you know of a way where we can have these blocky sections randomly piece together in some way but also have a way to have appropriate UN-EDGYNESS put in there too? I don't think my background picture method is the best way, as it takes a long-ass time to pre-draw all the backgrounds for every room in H2 like I've been doing.
    Images attachées Images attachées

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry but can you give an example of an unedgy situation? What you did in hasslevania is what I would do. But maybe not hand painting each room.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The unedgy example would look like the 2nd picture. It's 2 background objects on different layers where the 1st picture is set to obstacle and is on the same layer with the hero and etc, and the 2nd picture is a regular backdrop on a layer under it.

EDIT: This is the same room in motion at 2:02 in this video:

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I am missing your intention. You want glitchy organic collision? Because decades of plat formers have proven the reliability of linear surface collision. The green plant room at 2:02 would not benefit from non linear surfaces IMO. Also are you using fast loop collision or PMO?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, what I want is for the platform collisions to be done against blockish, straight edge platforms but for it to not look like he's jumping on a bunch of rectangles and etc. So something to give the edges more organic roughness I suppose you could say.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is up to your art and level layouts. It is just that simple. I don't think there is a magic bullet here, sorry.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah probably not. Oh well, thanks anyways.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would lay out the level block data in an array with whatever randomization method you're using, then generate the objects to represent it in a loop. The blocks that handle collision and the decorative objects that spill over the edges of the grid should be handled separately - use different conditions to decide which objects need to be placed at a certain square:

+ If this square in the array is a block:
    -> Create block at current location

+ If this square isn't a block but the square at Y+1 is:
    -> Create trim object (looks like a few pixels of ground above the actual block) at current location

+ If this square isn't a block but the square at Y-1 is:
    -> Create trim object representing ceiling...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast