User Tag List

Thread: PMO vs Physics Built in Platform Movement

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PMO vs Physics Built in Platform Movement

Im sure this has been debated to death, but has anyone had any success switching over from the PMO to the Physics Platform Movement? I'd think it would be an upgrade, albeit a new learning curve to get the hang of from switching, but if anyone had any experiences with the upside to using the new Physics Platform movement please share them here! Pros, cons etc.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Physics Platform Movement is currently more limited, and less customizable. That being said, should it suit your needs, it's fairly good.

The pros (off the top of my head):

It's generally easy to use.
    It works with the other physics movements.
    It has built-in moving platform support, more-or-less.

The cons (off the top of my head):

Ladders work terribly.
    It's barely customizable at runtime at all, and at edit time it's not customizable in as many ways as one might hope (I think it might be more customizable than the old built-in platform movement, but it's definitely less customizable than the Platform Movement Object).
    Your character doesn't stop moving mid-air when you let go of a movement key (this might actually be a bug, I don't know, but either way, this seriously needs to change, or at least there should be a setting that lets you decide whether or not it works that way).
    Jumping and holding isn't officially implemented (though surprisingly the ridiculously small amount of customization that can be done at runtime is actually enough to add this by changing gravity).

These are just what come to mind for me, by the way, there may be more pluses and minuses that I didn't think of. Simply put, if you're already using the Platform Movement Object, then for most things it's probably better to stick with it.

P.S. I personally love the Physics Platform Movement, it's a huge step up from the old built-in one and is very easy to use, it just has a long way to go before it's a full-on replacement for the Platform Movement Object (if it ever can be that).

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the rundown dude That's kind of what i was afraid of lol. I was just wanting to make sure i wasn't missing something that could be more useful but it sounds like the PMO is still reigning champ

EDIT: I did mess with a little when i first upgraded and i think there is a setting in the properties that lets you allow or deny the in air movement when jumping. You can disable it and it works more like the pmo and then you can leave the box checked and it gives you more of that old NES style jumping where you are screwed if you dont time one right lol

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The air movement thing isn't what I was referring to. I was more referring to the fact that, if you start moving mid-air, and then let go of the movement button, then you'll keep going. The only way to stop is to press the movement button that makes you move in the opposite direction (which also lets you turn around, which, quite frankly, is probably what you'll do in the process). If that's not how it behaves for you, then maybe something weird is happening on my end.